Wheel bearing noise, I think ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Wheel bearing noise, I think ??

Hi all

I have recently rejoined the Alfa ranks by buying a '98 155 2.0TS Super. My last Alfa was a somewhat modified GT Junior, but family pressures etc .. you know the rest.

Anyway, I have a query about a noise that sounds to me like wheel bearings. There is a rumbling noise from the front that can be heard from about 20km/h upwards. At slow speed it sort of oscillates. I have read a few posts on similar sounds and they point to the wheel bearings.
My question is how can I check for sure. Also should I be having bearing problems on a car that has only done 64000 km ?

Thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
Hi Andre
Normally, when a wheel bearing goes it’s only at one side of the cars; especially at your km-age. Try when the noise at it’s highest to turn to one side at a time, if the noise is getting worse turning, say, to the right it's the left hand side that's gone, or vice versa.
I think it’s unusual for a bearing to go at your cars age and Km, but dirt can have at some time entered into the grease or the seal is leaking causing the grease to disappear. My ’96 have done 133k km and, to the best of my knowledge, is on the original bearing all around.
Good luck finding the cause
Elp, that advice is great, thanx! I have been sure that my front left bearing is on its' way out as there has been a slight roar from that corner with an occasional squeak/whistle. Recently I have been doing higher mileage due to work commitments and it has worsened. At low speeds, ie when pulling away or coming to a halt it is making a groaning sound as if it is binding. I've never changed a wheel bearing before so I will take it to the local mech when he re-opens next week. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
Hi Elp

Thanks for the reply. I'll give the side to side thing a try. Now that you mention it the noise does sound a bit louder during a right hand turn.

Otherwise a really great car, nice to drive a car that actually was designed to be driven.

Thanks again

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

bearing , noise , wheel