tinny hi-fi - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
tinny hi-fi

The sound quality produced by my standard Sony (AUG 97 2.0 TS) is extremely tinny,very poor bass, and vastly inferior to any other modern car, even my wife's Daewoo! I suspect it is the speakers. Has anybody replaced standard front speakers with something superior but using original location? Any tips on getting a decent sound appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I've replaced with Kenwood dualmag's in the original positions in the front, mainly for treble.
They sound good quality - wise, (much better than the originals!) but they aren't designed for bass.
I then made up some MDF 'pods' to house 6.5 inch dualmag's, which i put in the bottom left of the front doors mainly for mid-bass. I'm running both sets of those speakers off of my Sony headunit.
Then you could put 6x9's in the rear shelf or a bass box in the boot to produce the bass you need, running from a decent amp. All in all it creates a simple, well balanced system.
Another tip is to make sure any speakers you put in are well secured to the surface, as this affects bass and sound quality greatly.

I recently had a decent set of speakers fitted.

They are in the front 2way 4 inch(10cm) JBL! 402MkII. And in the back in some MDF (between the original location of the speakers) a pair of 4way Pioneer TS-A6988 6*9 inch speakers. Use smaller speakers to fit in the original places behind.

U only have to remove a bit of the plastic wavles under the covers of the front speakers. Because most 2 way speakers are to high to fit under the covers.
You won't see a thing of the speakers fitted but they sound great!

Good luck.

I'm just running the standard speaker at the moment. Setup with a quite a high treble setting. I do however have a powerfull 12" Kenwood sun in the boot to fill up the Bass level. A single CD player in the front and it all sounds OK.

It may be that your speakers are shagged anyways. Go get some new funky ones. I know JBL and Kenwood do some very nice replacments.

AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0

I replaced the front ones with Kenwood 2-way 90W, the rear ones I've trown out and fitted 3-way Kenwood 240W straight into the original board btween the holes from the original speakers, I left the holes open to get a good bassflow. The 240's are powered by a Kenwood 2X200W amp and the had unit is Kenwood's special 20th anniversary edition combined with a 10 cd changer
I have standard speakers too but have added a Philips DAP650 amp (to the Philips head unit and 6 cd changer) to power a pair of 12" Eminence Bass Pump subs. I have the bass set at -3 which means that the speakers can go really loud and the bass remains deafening!
AO Member
Similar to Rob for me. Alpine 7535 head unit and 600L multichange. Sub volume control just under the head unit that leads to a Jetsound bridgeable 200W amp running an Alpine ZR 10" sub in a ported Tornado box. The box fits in perfectly with no screws as it wedges nicely under the rear parcel shelf cross member and the floor!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

hifi , tinny