Cam Variator seal kit. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cam Variator seal kit.

Hi there Alfisti,
I spoke the the workshop manager at Alfissimo (S. Africa) the other day about the cam variators. They put new rubber seals in the variator when they change the cambelts, etc. According to him the rattling noises of the variator are caused by loss of oil pressure due to worn rubbers/o-rings inside the variator.
Apparently the kits work well and is seldom neccesary to replace the whole variator.
(Maybe the same as changing the rubbers in the brake master cylinder?)
I have not tried the kit yet. I was foolish enough to replace the whole variator 10 000 km ago.

The cost saving is enormous. If memory serves me correctly, the kit is R150 and the whole variator R985. Sorry don't have Pound prices.

Sponsored Links
Hi Jacues
A while back someone entered an issue on this with reference to an Alfa Technical bulletin.
It stated something about engine Nos. later than 13xxx and between 90xxx and 13xxx with blue marking on the variator housing the kit can be installed to the variator. Engines with green marking or engine no. below 90xxx a new variator and inlet cam (of a new version) has to be fitted – and noisy variators can be repaired with this kit in the future, I presume.
I have checked my 2.0 16v ‘96 but can’t find the engine no. or se any colour markings on tha variator housing, so I’m sure mine’s of the “beta” version – it’s been changed in Oct. ’98, though.
If you need the exact nos. and cannot find the issue, I have a hard copy of the Bulletin which I can fax to you.
Alfisti regards
Thanks Erik. I was told that mine could be repaired with the kit. I also din't see any colour markings.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

cam , kit , seal , variator