Temperature gauges - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Temperature gauges

I've just picked up a 155 2.016v, and have questions regarding the temperature gauges.

Engine Oil Termperature Gauge.

The manual says that gauges registers when oil exceeds 60 degrees. I drove for miles and it never seemed to move. I persumed it was broken, but then it seemed to move a small bit, perhaps just above the 60. As I have'nt got the car that long I would like to know if that seems normal (Oil was recently changed, if that makes a difference).

Coolant Temperature Gauge.

Hasn't moved at all. This I persume (like most other cars) should be normally sitting somewhere above where it starts. Natural assumption would be that its broken...but where....in the dash or in the engine ??

All other gauges seem to be working OK, so any thoughts on the above two would be appreciated.

Gerard Massey.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce

The coolant temperature guage should read about 90 degrees, as for the oil temp, mine's never moved either!
Any thoughts on where the problem might be with the coolant temperature gauge ?

Gerard, did you use the car on an extended run? The telltale will be in a traffic jam on a warm day! My gauge will sit at 90, rise to just over that and then be reduced by a couple of degrees by the fan. Maybe it's just that you have been out on the open road and in cool conditions?

Rob, The gauge never moves at all. Sits just below 50 (I think 50 is the first number!). I think its knackered, but am unsure as to where the problem most likely is.
Hi Gerard
You probably have a loose connection or the lead on the thermo feeler just fallen of. It's situated just behind the thermostat at the rear end of the engine. Another possebility, the feeler might have gone.
The themp gauge (when working) often only read around 70*, only when on a hot day, A/C working and slow driving mine read 90* and the cooler fan cuts in.
It's the same thing with my oiltemp gauge - below or around 60* except in above conditions or on a long motorway trip a hot day - then I se 70*-80*, once going up the Grossglokner pass I saw 90*.
Good luck
Car's gone back to the garage I bought it from, so they can sort out a few of the little (buy annoying) problems.....Asked them to check the temperature gauge.....

Pretty sure I've got that diesel sound as well !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

gauges , temperature