Door mirror - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Door mirror

Happy Birthday Rob155! Well kind of...earlier on I got squeezed up between a parked car and a car travelling in the opposite direction and took out my left hand (nearside) door mirror, snapping it off through the white-ish coloured mounting which lurks below the black external mounting cover. It is now hanging purely by its wires. The mirror is functioning electrically and both the glass and case are fine but I a) want to know how I can remove it until I can get it fixed AND b) am I going to have to buy an entire mirror assembly even though it is just the mounting that has been snapped? PLEASE HELP REDEEM A PREVIOUSLY ENJOYABLE BIRTHDAY!!!!

Sponsored Links
Simon Atkinson
Happy birthday Rob!

The mirror is pretty easy to remove. Pull off the triangular plastic cover on the inside of the door. You should find some bolt heads beneath, undo these and the mirror should come off. The electrical connections may be inside the door, I don't know as I've only ever replaced the manual mirrors.

As far as I know, the mirror is only available as a whole item. However, don't forget that there are a number of places that have a good stock of secondhand parts, and it may be that a manual mirror will have the same alloy casting. I suppose it depends on how damaged the colour coded rear shell is (think of the painting cost!)

Sean Conway

Unlucky !

The mirror is held on by 3 cross head screws, which are behind the black plastic triangle inside the car. This is held on by 2 clips top and bottom. To get it off, pull away the rubber trim and insert a flat bladed screwdriver and just simply pull/lever it off. Be careful though as there is painted metal behind the trim and if you are too enthusiastic with the driver, you will scratch the paint.

Once this is off it's fairly straight forward except that on my car, the screws had 'rusted' in. There had been some sort of chemical reaction with the white metal casting. I got two out easily, but the third was an absolute bugger and I ended up rounding it off. In the end it came out, but I would recommend that you use a really good screwdriver to make sure you get a good contact. When I put it back, I put copper lube on the screw threads, and replaced the damaged screw with a allen headed fixing.

Putting the black plastic trim back is easy, just make sure you put the bottom edge in first, as it has a felt seal which inserts into the door trim.

I seem to remember that someone else posted to the forum saying that they had successfully glued the white metal mounting using something like araldite.

Hope your Birthday was ok by the way !

Cheers Guys

I managed to remove the mirror in the end, although I was given a bit of bad advice by someone in the trade suggesting the wiring connection lurked behind the door card - it is actually a block located between the interior and exterior mirror covers. I looked at some non Alfa mirrors and was quoted 80ish for a pair of DTM ones but didnt like the idea of cutting the plastic to fit the door. Thats not how an Alfa should be. Also the drivers side mirror has the exterior temp sensor so I'm going genuine. I've been quoted 118+vat for the mirror assy by the local Alfa dealer and 85+vat by Alfa Services so guess who is getting my business!

[This message has been edited by Rob155 (edited July 10, 2001).]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

door , mirror