Wiper slap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Graham Bell
Wiper slap

I've read the articles on the wipers and the usual problems. I have the later type of blades. Im just managing not to catch bonnet due to adjusting the bonnet mounting raising back of bonnet by about 2mm. However the wiper sweep seems a bit too long. if I move the drivers side wiper 1 spline up at high vehicle speed the wiper will catch over the edge of the windscreen and mark the door. as is the wipers work fine but at low speed in trtafic the drivers side slaps down against the plastic at base of the windscreen , this is annoyingly loud. I would like to shorten the wiper stroke slightly so drivers side takes a shorter stroke and does not catch at either side. Is this possible. There seems to be about 2 inches of play when measured at wipers tip. Its not loose play. I imagine this is normal due to the length of the blades and probably a short linkage on motor side. I imagine if you dont have this problem its probably because the bonnet acting as a barrier to the wiper stopping it travelling too far.

[This message has been edited by Graham Bell (edited 21 June 2001).]
Sponsored Links
Hi Graham
You must be the telephone man – suspect you’ve heard that one before.
Well, you probably have either worn wiper sockets (plastic/nylon ring around the wiper shafts – they can be bought separately using a Fiat Tipo part No.). I’ve got the No. somewhere, mail me if you need it. Or you need to fine a just the arms a bit more – it a very delicate matter, I’ve had to do it several times, myself.
If you have the jerkily action on the parking stoke you’ll find the cure looking up one of the earliest entries of the Technical Forum.

I suffered from this on my first 155 - a 1993 8v. I bought a new wiper assembly, but within months the problem began to surface again.

What I did was to cut something like 1/2 - 3/4 inches off the end of the wiper blade (the plastic bit at the top end of course!)which solved the problem. If you do it neatly and smooth the sharp edges off it looks fine.

In case you think top screen visibility is impaired - it isn't really. I'm 6' 4" and had not problem.

Anyway, hope that's a simple alternative

[This message has been edited by vish (edited 23 June 2001).]
Lord Alfa
I have changed them to Lancia Dredra wiper arms. If you are driving in the UK which is the right side of the road and not the wrong side.

The left blade is 18" while the right blade is 19"

With the Dedra arms, you can afford to place the 18" left wiper close to the bottom without the fear of the left wiper striking the bonnet.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

slap , wiper