Sticking Handbrake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Graham Bell
Sticking Handbrake

Over the winter months after nights which
have gone sub zero I have been experiencing problems with my hand brake siezing on.
I've cleaned and greased the linkages on the calipers but still have problem. Im assuming that water has got in around the screw gear actuating the hand brake in the caliper. For the few nights this happens I just put up with it, driving slowly about 1/2 a mile from home with it siezed, then pulling over and listening to the radio for 15 minutes letting the heat generated in the disk disipate and un-ice the linkage before contining. Now its summer I'll strip down the back brakes to have a look at the problem before next winter. Just wondered if anyone else has been down this root before me.
Sponsored Links
Simon Atkinson
From what I remember, this has been an issue before.

I think the cause was put down to water freezing in the cable sleeving. The cables loop from the calipers, causing water to be trapped in the bottom of the loop. This freezes and locks the handbrake.

When its happened to me, I've just moved the sleeves around which disturbs the ice and frees the innner cable a little.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Happened to my 155 as well last winter. The boots on the end of the cable and the sleeve had split allowing water to get in.

Replaced them and all was fine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

handbrake , sticking