Well screwed together ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Sean Conway
Well screwed together !

Being as the topic of build quality has cropped up, I thought I'd ask a question about a rattle I have which is driving me round the bend....

My car's a UK model (right hand drive)and the rattle is coming from above the glovebox right at the base of the windscreen. If I bang on the plastic strip at the base of the windscreen, I can make it rattle faintly, but when I'm driving it's much louder - a sort of metallic sound.

There's no obvious way to take out the strip and by other peoples experience, access through the glovebox is a no no.

It had occured to me that I might be able to get access from outside the car by removing the wipers and taking off the plastic cover to access behind. I'm assuming I will find a wiper motor and linkage (this might even be the source of the noise), but does anyone know if I will be able to get access to the back of the dashboard ? Or even better, has anyone had this rattle and know what it is ?

Sponsored Links
Hi Sean.

No ! You will not be able to get access to the back of the dashboard unfortunately.

It doesn't seem like a wiper motor problem either, as the motor sits some distance from the base of the windscreen.

My only suggestion is that if the noise is in the corner of the windscreen, you may be able to gain access to it by removing the speaker grill and speaker.

Hope this helps.

AO Member
So I am not the only one ... I can also hear that annoying sound since I had my windscreen replaced in february. I do think it has something to do with the plastic part that runs along the windscreen, in front of the dashboard. The one you called strip. Probably it has not physical contact to the carrosery, but almost. And when the road induces resonance in the strip it strikes the carrosery at the windscreen base in every damn oscillation.

Solution. I see three alternatives.

1. Full contact - it doesn't oscillate at all.

2. No contact - You will not hear it.

3. Damping - Probably the easisest way to solve it. Put some cloth or rubber stuff between the strip and the windscreen/carrosery. It might though be hard to get the fingers in and manage to hide the damping material as it is so sloce to the windscreen.

/A. Möller

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155