Engine temp. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Engine temp.

My 1.8 TS 8v, has the tendancy to heat up when standing, or moving on slow traffic. It is'nt drastic, nut it usually runs at 50 to 60 degrees, but in the above mentioned conditions it can heat up to 90 degrees. Is this normal behaviour for the Twinspark, or should i consider flushing the cooling system? Many thanks, JamesB
Sponsored Links
90 degrees seems about right to me. It's only when it gets over 100 that you have to worry.

However, there is a very simple and effective way to make your car 'cooler' (and no, it doesn't involve 18s).

There is a conversion known as a 'top-hose' conversion (usually done on Integrales etc, but it works on all cars.)

The temperature sensor that measures the water temperature is normally located at the bottom of the radiator. The conversion involves removing that sensor and relocating it in the hose that runs at the top of the radiator.

A simple 'T' bracket is required to mount the sensor in the top hose.

Are you all following so far? Good.

You have to use another sensor to blank off the now vacant hole at the bottom of the radiator. This sensor performs no function other than to blank off the lower hole.

Right, now as we now, heat rises, so the top of the radiator will get hotter before the bottom of the radiator and therefore, a top mounted temperature sensor will register 90 degrees before a bottom mounted sensor will, having the effect of making the fan cut in earlier. (the fan cuts in at 90 degrees normally).

Having this conversion results in the fan cutting in before 90 degrees, as the sensor is tricked into thinking that the engine is hotter than it actually is.

Clever ain't it.

The car runs noticeably cooler (even if it is on 18s !) especially stuck in traffic. You can feel all the warm air being blown away from the engine if your window is down.

Over heating is a major cause for gaskets to perish and leads to engine failure.

The 'T' bracket costs 12. The conversion takes 10 minutes.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Excuse me, but I think Nareman is anwering the wrong question?? The sensor for the radiator fan is in the radiator for sure, and I can see some sense in moving it if there is an overheating problem. The engine water temperature sensor is in the engine (the cylinder head actually, near the thermostat housing). James is saying that his car runs at 50 - 60 degrees normally?? This isn't right. It should be nearer to 80 at all times, once warm, except in traffic, where the temperature will rise to around 90 at which point it should be stabilised by the rad fan. If it's going higher than 90-100 regualrly, then it's either time for a new radiator or Naremans mod (or both).

I suspect your thermostat is stuck wide open. This is going to cause excessive engine wear and fuel consumption in the longer term as the oil never gets to temperature and there is always a bit too much fuel going in 'cos it's too cold.

Just my 2 cents.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

engine , temp