Cheers for the offers.
My headlight is an electrically adjustable one.. it works okay but the glass got shot on the French autoroutes in 2010. I have a spare headlamp (manual) but I can swap just the glass over, I reckon. It only seems to be held on with clips and sealant.
Foglamps.. I had a rare moment of genius once and bought a set in case mine ever got wrecked... and then they didn't. Sure enough though, France did both of those in too. I'll have a rummage around and try to find those ones I bought... but I'm fairly confident this is a goer, since I remember they were quite tidy condition.
I have a sub-frame. It's off a Fiat Coupe Turbo (identical part) and so is about 8 years newer than mine and looks it. Trouble was, it came with no bushes (just the metal cups which I'll have to press out).
This is where I ran into delays. Because the metal cups were still pressed into place, for a long time I thought they were part of the subframe, rather than the bush, so I couldn't work out which other Fiat/Alfa models used the same bushes. All the ones I saw looked different... and it didn't help that the "new bushes" web-sites don't list Fiat Coupe or Alfa 155, so I couldn't see what they were supposed to look like.
I also got a bit side-tracked trying to get someone to make some (what I now know is the inner part) in Polyurethane. I had no joy then... but some Bulgarian geezer makes them now.
In the end I worked out that the "bush" I was searching for was just the inner rubber part and I should be looking for something that included the metal cups. Fiat Multipla subframe bushes are identical... and blindingly obvious so, in retrospect... so I bought some of those. Firstline or A2Z on fleabay will do you a full set.
My compensator is a bit manky.. and it'll be no bother to get a new one. The brake pipe unions were corroded "stuck" to the copper pipes, so have twisted/deformed the pipes when they've been off in the past. They might be restricting fluid flow to the compensator.. as the beast failed its last MoT on weak brakes. There was no MoT problems with the spring mount being made of "Titanic" .. but it fell to pieces when I poked it.
Brake pipes... To get the '45 through an MoT I had to make a new brake pipe so I have a Sykes Pickavant brake-pipe flaring kit and I know how to use it..
Tarquini's brake pipes have been made from Unobtainium since around 2007.. so I knew I'd have to make one or two for him too.
I'm going to recycle my calipers (Budweg..) which should leave me with "as new" brakes if the compensator, pipes and hoses are all new at the same time. I've even managed to find a new compensator spring which might be arriving soon..
The fuel tank has come out (for me to get access to the sub-frame) so with that out of the way I could peep into to o/s arch from behind. The tank support braket in the wheel-arch twisted off (rusty) when I tried to unbolt it.. since that bolt looks 20 years old and never been undone, so now I have a square hole in the inner wing. Should be simple to patch it up... he said.
Fuel tank straps are reasonably sound.. and the bolts will come undone - I checked then before I started taking too many bits off..
The rustiness in the wheel arch is usual '55 stuff. Water has snuck in around the fuel filler neck (or via the inner and outer wing seam) and run down to each end of the wheel arch, eventually escaping by eating it's way out. It's not structural rust, since at the sill end the sill is galvanised and a bit 'ard.. but the inner wheel arch needs a bit of new metal down there. The trailing edge is similarly "bubbly" but no tooooo severe (though the captive bolt that holds the wheel arch guard shows where the water got out..
The "usual" floor/boot joint is good.
The n/s was a bit ropey and my friendly body man, the late Vince, fixed it a few years ago.. but the o/s is fine (just the odd patch or blemish in the mastic).
The under-boot floor looks very clean.. just the odd surface mark where the tank has rubbed etc. I'm quite impressed. The captive bolts that hold the exhaust guard and the wheel arch "inner guard" are a bit rusted to their nuts. I may have to amputate one or two and re-fit new ones.
Subframe won't come out at the moment, since one of the bolts is seized and the bolt rounded (since it's mostly "Titanic" anyway and crumbled when the socket touched it..
Might have to chop it off and use a stud remover on the shank.
Dampers .. I'll probably put Kayabas on there. Front ones are KYBs circa 2009 and do what they say in the box, which is good enough for what I use the beast for. New springs.. might go a bit lower since Tarquini is a "Super" and has 30mm more ride height over a "Sport" .. and the wheel-arch gap is HUGE..
So.. it looks like a bit of fiddling and then just dismantling/remantling... which is about right since it nearly passed an MoT only a few miles ago... I'm hoping for good weather now.. since you can't launch a space mission when it's rainy..