Rear sub-frame questione... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
Rear sub-frame questione...

Has anyone fitted new bushes into their old subframe?

I have a "new" subframe from a Fiat 20v Turbo coupe, so it's a straight swap and it's obviously bound to make my '55 go faster.. but the booshes were shot and have been removed.

It's still better than my old subframe (severely surface rusty and collapsed/rusted bump-stop mount... as well as having shot bushes) so I persevered and after 2 years finally tracked down bushes that will fit... from a Fiat Marea and an old-stylee Fiat Bravo - big and small bushes respectively.

Now then, the big bushes have a metal case rather like a yoghurt pot around the rubber... This corresponds to a similar shape/size metal moulding on the sub-frame. I'm not sure if the "moulding" can be knocked out of an existing hole, or if it is welded in, as an integral part of the sub-frame, and then the rubber bushing is assembled around it. It looks like it's "joined" - there is a seam - but I dunno if it's pressed in or welded in.

The small bushes are pressed together in a little concertina shape with a metal end-plate pressed onto the end. Again, there is a metal plate in the subframe that represents the metal plate as fitted to the bush. Can I knock/press that out so that the new bush will fit in the resulting hole, or is it welded in (and therefore would have to be cut out)?

Obviously I can't weld the new bushed metal plates to the sub-frame (melts the rubber).

I think if I can remove the metal presings (knocked out or cut out) and get the resulting sub-frame holes cleaned up/welded up.. then I will be able to drop the metal plates of the bushes neatly in there... but do they have to be pressed in tight or can they be loose? Won't the sub-frame fall off the car, if the bush isn't bonded/pressed to the booshes? The subframe mounting bolts pass through the bush and look like they need the bush to be tight in the subframe.. otherwise the subframe could just drop out, when the rear wheels were off the ground (as in jacking, not rallying.. )

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Last edited by Ralf S.; 04-11-13 at 12:39.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
I haven't done the job but I'm sure a few on have done....probably worth a nose around on there....
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
Ralph, I'm pretty sure the bushes just press out/in.

as Richard above has said, some of the guys on the org have already done the job, so could confirm.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
I've ventured over there and asked the same questions.. Hopefully it looks like the metal cups that appear to be part of the subframe are actually part of the old bushes and can be knocked out for the new ones to drop in... but let's see.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

questione , rear , subframe