155 front shocks change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-06-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

156 sportwagon

155 front shocks change

Hey there,
i changed the rears yesterday on my 155 2.0 16v 1997, pretty hassle free, but now its time for the fronts, what do i need to watch out for? i know i need spring clamps which i have, but other than that?

1) JAck up wheel
2) put clamp on
3) losen bolts & remove
4) slide suspension spring off and onto new shock
5) put new shock in and tighten bolts

im guessing its not THAT easy, so what am i missing?
ANY help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

The front is a coilover McPherson strut setup.

You need to remove the whole strut. Start by first 'cracking'/loosening the main nut atop the strut/damper inside the engine bay. It's under the black plastic cover on the top-mounts. You'll find when re-assembling, doing this nut up tightly to-spec can be tricky, and you may need to improvise with tools.

Then unbolt the top mounts from inside the engine bay (3 bolts each side).

With the car on stands/hoist, then undo the two main cross bolts securing the bottom of the strut/damper to the steering knuckle.

Be careful that the bottom of the damper does not land on the CV joint rubber boot and tear it. I protected the boot with a piece of flat wood that you can see in the above photo.

Whilst in the process, you can split open the plastic-cased top mount bearing, clean, and regrease, or simply replace.

The rears are a cinch compared with the front! Not that the fronts are technically difficult, but it will take considerably more time.

I presume you have the workshop manual and all the torque specs for the bolts, and a suitable torque wrench.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Platinum Member
The main thing is to undo the nut on top of the damper rod before you jack the car up, as Shiny says. Once there's no weight on it, it will just turn (the proper way to do it is to hold the rod fixed, with the special tool you won't have.. )

The Springs are also a bit 'ard.... I ended up using 4 clamps on each one (though if you have longer/heavy duty clamps than I have, then a pair may be able to tame the spring). That was the tricky part for me... compressing the springs enough to get the nut off (and back on afterwards).

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 155

Cool thanks guys! I shall do it over the next couple days. The 1st post was by me, but using my Dad's account by the way.

Ok so nothing has to be removed in order to get to the bolts?

Also, my car is a 98 model, but I can get shocks from 91-95(obviously I won't) or the ones from 95-97, I can't find a 98 parts listing. But, the 98 is the last year they made the 155, so I figured that it must be a 97 model, just listed as 98 because it was only 1st licensed in 98? Is this correct?

Regards & thanks,
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Yes, you want the 'widebody'/facelift versions, so the 'later' ones like '97.

AO Silver Member
County: Kent
Be careful when undoing the top mount bolts (13mm).
If they haven't been changed before there'll be lots of rusty crud on the underside, if they get a bit tight whilst undoing, squirt some penetrating oil on them, then tighten them up a bit - until they get easy to turn, then undo a bit moe until they get tight again, and repeat procedure.

If you don't do the above, you are in danger of breaking the captive nut free on the underside of the top mount.

you'll need 15mm and 17mm sockets and spanners to undo the strut mounting bolts, clean the threads and oil first before undoing.

think strut top bolt is 18mm.

i normally remove the strut top bolt, then put back on loosely, then remove struts and springs complete.
Then take springs off.

gone but never forgotten . new blue

XBOX Gamertag : celadon278
Xbox Forza3 AO : Class B joint 3rd

Battle scars

Last edited by celadon; 25-06-13 at 18:45.
AO Member
County: Hedmark
I changed my dampers and springs today. And workshop manual say. Loosen the two bolts on damper connected to the wheel mount. Then unscrew stabilisationbar so that the wheel mount drop down. Then unscrew the 3 bolts securing the damper on top and take damper with topmount straight out. Very easy. Note that i bought topmount and bearing new, put all parts together and refitted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , change , front , replace , shocks