1978 Alfa Spider won't start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-13 Thread Starter
County: California
1978 Alfa Spider won't start

Where to begin? I decided to change belts and hoses recently. Additionally, I had an oil leak coming from the SPICA and replaced the oil cup on the rear of the injector pump. Naturally, I had to remove the pump (tough job). I put the car back together and got the car to start but not run. After consulting with Wes Ingram I corrected the issue by backing off the Decel Soleoid. The car was then running fine although the timing was off slightly. I drove the car for a good hour around the city. Next day, I backed off the nut to loosen the distributor in order to time the car...prior to starting it. Then when I went to start the car, nothing. it would crank and crank but not fire. Checked all the connections, bolted down the distributor and still no start. Removed the distributor and set the pulley to "P" and reset the distributor to make sure i wasn't 180 degrees off. No start. 3 months ago I upgraded to Centerline Electronic ingition, New Bosch coil, new wires and plugs. I then replaced the 3 month old cap due to carbon tracking...no start. I would hate to take it out back and shoot it. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
First suggestion would be to post the query in the right "lounge" - there is one specifically for the "classic" Alfas......

But logically - the car was running before you started to try to adjust the timing - so logically it must have been something you did connected to that......although of course it couldn't possibly have been 180 degrees out......beyond that I can't really offer much help - I've got a 78 spider that I brought back from the States 20 years ago - and that packed up on me one day and hasn't run since...I've suspected something to do with the Spica pump...my plan is to convert it to Webers one day!

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

1978 , alfa , spider , start