Better than Fun fair ride?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Better than Fun fair ride??

Last thursday while sitting at front of very heavy traffic in my 155, my clutch packed up and having no desire to push car around corner, I switched off,selected first gear,restarted and limped few yards off the main road.Phoned AA and almost two hours later he arrives., Hello I said and showed him my membership card, he ignored me? looked at car and said '' these are rare,where is your garage'' About 9 miles away I said. He stood there looking at road?? Right I'm gonna tow you. I,ve been towed before with a bar a very short way and it's a Very strange feeling travelling so close to a big van and having no control of your vehicle[Just steering]I thought he would have used the hoist and wheels thingie to lift and tow my car, but I get the impression that the patrolmen do not like using this as it takes half an hour to set up. After a few do's and dont's we set off,ok to begin with,then he decides to use a small dual carriageway? So there I sit bowling along at a rate of knots trying to keep the car from overtaking his van, we come off the d/c and proceed along a very hilly road with lots of bends[not unlike driving around with a blindfold on]finally we arrive at my garage, I let him uncouple my car and I go into office and tell them what I,ve just experienced, They looked at me with mouths open and cant believe what I've just told them.I sign his [AA] form and he quickly drives off.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
BMW Owner?
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

not a good advert for joining the AA so
AO Gold Member
At least you could have the engine running so you could have power steering.....

RAC rigid-bar towed me a similar distance (but up the A1) in my 166 when it blew the head gasket....not a problem for me really though the steering WAS heavy

I guess when they are under time pressure (as evidenced by your wait) - the quickest solution is the favourite - lets them get onto the next customer as soon as my case it was to get me to a rendevouz with a full slide-bed recovery truck which took me the other 100 miles or so home....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I've been towed a couple of times with a rigid bar, loved it, great fun
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 17-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
I've been a member of AA since 1979 and have used them on a few occasions, generally they are a good service,only a couple of times the patrolman has been a bit of a ****
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 59
County: Memphis

Member car:

A galleon

Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I've been towed a couple of times with a rigid bar, loved it, great fun
Me too - clutch packed up and got a tow from Darlo to Aycliffe a few years back.....pulled up at the old BMC site and Justin walked over and asked "cambelt?"

The journey was strange - no perception of what's happening up front.
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire
My dad could be worse. He towed my car when the clutch packed up. Single track back road. He's barreling along at 70 & car had no brakes & he decided to stop suddenly & take a picture of the scenery.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

fair , fun , ride