A pipe too far! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
A pipe too far!

Hi chaps

as soon as i bought the V6, i knew it would have to sing through some stainless drainwork, so yesterday i got to grips with the thing and ripped into it!

but me thinks i may have gone too far, Jeepers its loud, Too Loud!

anyway, as a warning to other owners, this is what i did and what i shall do.

Firstly, as a Long Term Hater and Dismantler of CataCrappic Converters, and seeing as the car has a brand new lambda sensor in it miounted a good 6-8" prior to the cat, i was confident that i could junk this without error warnings and engine light issues, so at the junction just following the flange mount for the cat, i cut it straight off.

We then formed a smooth 2 into 1 Y piece, taking us into a natural 2 1/4" Pipe Diameter for the remaining system, as seen here, and everything doen as usual in High Grade T304 Stainless and matching rod.

To follow, we formed the pipework to replace the small cylindrical centre silencer, and the triangular centre/rear silencer box, from 2 1/4" tube. At the point you see it end at the rear axle, we created a slotted sleev joint so that the rear exit silencer to finish can be dismantled from the system at this point, to avoid the complication of the standard layout, which to be honest is a ***** to get off because it is tied up by the handbrake cable!

And then finally, i had some brand new stainless twin exit boxes lying around from a V8 Soarer job i had but ended up not using, so i thought i'd hack the finish tips off, and graft on the Tri-Oval tip you see here, which i've been dying to use ever since its availability because of its similarity to the Alfa Romeo grill shape!, neat eh?

So, all seem welded up, resealed the Cat flange, make some hangers, bolt it all up, drop the ramp, and turn the key....

O M G! Ha Ha Ha!!!

we all fell about laughing, loving it, but laughing at it all the same!

mainly because as this is going to be my holiday car in June, we all knew the moment it burst into life that my better half (or me for that matter!) would ever consider sitting in this for 5Hours down to Cornwall, it is a bit RIDICULOUS!

I think what we'll do is cut out the small cylinder silencer from the original centre section, swauge up the ends, and install that back into the straight through pipework. This should take the edge of and calm it a bit without too much suffocation. If it sounds nice and works, it can stay, or, following the holiday is can come stright back off, and Tarquini will once again deafen nottingham!!!!

What are your thoughts chaps?

slightly deafer than before!

PS - If anyone needs a Cat, the Rear Silencer, or the Triangle Silencer box, mine are all in perfect working order and excellent condition, in fact they look very recently new, and they wilol very deffintiely not be going back on the car. as such i will sell them cheaply to a Forum Member, but don't forget they have been cut off and will require a sleeve joint or someone who can weld.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Excellent work there mate, have you no sound clip..???...
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Nice work although the tail doesn't do it for me
Here you go chaps, a little sound bite of it.

its a shame my dad kept stopping the record, as it rings through the trees it reminded me of a Stratos in a wooded section!

see what you think???

AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

MX5 turbo

AO Member
County: Buenos Aires

Member car:

Gt1600, Benz

Great job on the pipe man! I didn't like the sound very much though. Mine sounded the same and I added 2 small boxes where the cat used to be, got a much deeper sound that way.
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

sounds more like a drill than an engine, maybe stick on one or two small boxes as was previously mentioned and get a nice slick smooth sound

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155