Fuel consumption for a 2.5 v6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Wellington

Member car:

Hmmm Fuel consumption for a 2.5 v6

Hi all

First post on this forum, which follows on from a recent purchase of a very tidy '98 155 v6. She's not my first Alfa (I've had a couple of early 80s 33s), so I was expecting some grief, but after 5 months and 10k she's been brilliant. Even the wife has become a convert.

However, I do have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find straight answers for -

Fuel consumption wise, I'm getting only 13L/100ks at the moment (18mpg in the old money). This is totally urban driving by mainly my better half*, so wouldn't be considered "Italian vigorous" by any means. This seems low from what I've been reading... is it time to start cleaning injectors and the MAF? (temp sensors all seem fine from dash readouts).

Also, cambelt intervals... I've seen lots of conflicting advice... It was changed at 70k, and according to the owners manual, this should see me to 190k (120k intervals). However, i'm currently sitting on 139k, so if 70k is the wise interval... I guess it's time to get out the wallet.

*Don't worry though, I do take her out at weekends to clean out the cobwebs and stretch her legs. Been very impressed with how she has handled in bog-standard form on the track too.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Well, I'm not a regular poster here but welcome and nice car - 98 is a late one.

MPG, unless our gallons are different I work out 13l/100km to nearer 22mpg 100/13 x 4.54 x0.6234).....which is about right for the urban cycle (my v6 doesn't really do that round town)

Cambelt isn't hard on the 12v v6 (I've done my own and I'm only a hobbyist) so it shouldn't carry a massive labour charge.....don't know what tensioner availability is like these days though, it's a couple of years since I've bought one.....

Screw Flanders
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire
Tensioners & belts for the V6 are still plentiful. It's probably one of the easier engines to do a belt on aswell.
AO Member
County: Dubayy
On the 3.2 GTA I averages 12l/100km over the last 3500 kms. Average speed was 50kmh (30mph i thing) - with the AC on all the time i might add
AO Platinum Member
Aye dude! You went all American on us.

1 US gallon is 3.43 litres.. (I believe the Yanks like to show off what shocking consumption their v8s manage).. whereas a "proper" gallon is 4.54 litres.

So as djstanley says, you're actually hitting 21.72mpg. That's not far off normal... thought it depends how much idling in traffic your missus is doing.

On a main road run the beast should be returning about 28mpg - 30mpg... so check that the temperature climbs up to 88C regardless of the whether the car is moving or not.. and stays there. If it's loitering around the 75C mark when moving, then the thermostat is shot and that's 3-4mpg right there.

Thermostat is easy to get hold of and change..

While you're at it.. I guess it's a bit nippy out there now.. make sure your oil is 10W40 and not a heavier grade..

Cam-belt.. you got me all metrificated again.. but yes.. the regular cam-belt change interval is 72,000 miles (120,000 of your klickometers).

My old belts have never appeared even vaguely distressed or "worn out" when I've removed them and they have been in there 72k (120k) and for 4 or 5 years... when hearsay would suggest they should be dry and cracked and falling apart. They don't die.. but have a peek at yours every now and again... environment and use might be a factor.

The cam-belt tensioner is some left-over old stock that was originally intended for a battleship. It's pretty indestructible and will easily cope with 72k (120k).. but 2 Tours of Duty brings them right to their limit (my old one was veeeery loose after 200,000kms in there.. )

Don't worry about the water pump.. My old beast did more than 300,000kms and was still pretty good when I took it out, since it just *had* to be knackered. It wasn't.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

consumption , fuel