155 Track car brake and clutch issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
155 Track car brake and clutch issues

I have finally got the 155 track car Ive been restoring road legal and pretty much upto scratch. 2 things have happened in the testing that I would like your opinions on.

1. Getting quite serious brake fade not far into a spirited drive. Its fine at first, but say after 10mins hard driving the brake performance just drops off. It has grooved discs (existing) and ebc greenstuff (new) on the front. Has had new fluid but may have not done correctly (newb). I have done a bedding in process of find a straight quiet road and get to 50 brake to 5 and repeat about 10 times. Is it most likely the fluid (in which case I'll get it changed by a pro), or is it new pads old discs. The discs look in great condition almost no wear at all. Or should I just persevere and do some more bedding in.

2. This is the good news. I picked up the car from a farm in north wales, it had sat for the winter and most of the summer unused outside. On the drive back the clutch was slipping constantly in 4th and 5th above 3k rpm. After a bit of driving and being sat in doors for a while. I could not make the clutch slip at all. Is it possible inactivity had allowed muck or oil onto the plate and the clutch will now be fine? Or will it be only very short term and the clutch is def on the way out?

Cheers all
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 20-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Going to get a pro to Rebleed the brakes! Seems to be either incorrect brake fluid or brake compensator spring being loose that gives too much front bias.

Last edited by RomeoBear; 20-10-10 at 14:48.
AO Platinum Member
Brakes fade because the pads overheat or the fluid overheats.

The disc material can also have an effect but it's less likely and not worth pursuing for the moment.

EBC Green Stuff pads are supposed to be a racing type pad.. so probably not to blame here. A cheaper or road-oriented pad might otherwise struggle.

If you haven't bled the brakes thoroughly enough then that is the obvious place to start. Any air in the system will expand as it gets hot and therefore causes more pedal issues.

Also, the fluid itself could be getting too hot and vapourising ("boliling") at the caliper end. The fix would be to use a high-temperature "racing" brake fluid since these boil at nearly 600C cf 300 for normal road fluid. Racing fluids need to be changed more often than normal fluid.. but Track car.. once a year job.

Put these 2 together and you get "Replace your fluid with a racing type fluid" and "bleed the system thoroughly".

Compensator... fix it... but it's probably not to blame. It's the amount of force in the front brakes that makes them hot, not the proportion of brake effort. If you fix the compensator you'll have a better balance which means you'll be able to lean on the brakes harder.. but for less time.. It'll be a better drive but the brakes still have to slow you down from 130 to 30 at the end of the straight.

The clutch... coulda been slipping because of contamination or a sticking slave cylinder etc. If it's working now, use it till it no longer does!

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , brake , car , clutch , issues , track