Can a decat straight through exhaust 155 Pass Mot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Can a decat straight through exhaust 155 Pass Mot

Pretty stoked right now. Just bought a 155 2.5 V6 off ebay that has been modded for track use. Planning to take it upto knockhill for the ARUK trackday. Saw this one up for a good price and fancied a punt. Always heard about the sweet handling and lovely sound of the 155.

I really want to be able to drive it to trackdays thought and this car has no MOT or Tax right now. I know that it has been decatted and has a straight through exhaust what chance do I have of getting it through the test? It is pre 95 so I think it can have the no cat test.

Also does anyone know if fitting a removable silencer is allowed for the test?

Any ideas would be great fully received. So far my plan is book into test see what happens, then if emissions a problem, change oil, put in Vpower, and use a fuel cleaner. Also warm up engine before test. If noise is a problem then get a removable silencer or muffler.
Sponsored Links
You're wrong about the year catalysts were required... Its 1992, not 95.

If its pre-92 you're fine without one, though if emissions are a concern and its possible, fitting one for the test will make a very big difference. Someone on here will probably be happy to help a fellow alfa owner and give you a lend of theirs for the day

Fitting a temporary silencer is fine, as the mot tester isn't allowed to dismantle any part of the car to examine it. So as far as he is concerned your temporary silencer is permanent.

There is an option for them to fail a car if 'the exhaust is significantly louder than a car with a standard exhaust' (or something along those lines) but only the worst of testers will use it, unless you ruffle their feathers somehow

I prepare cars for mot and put them through the test as a sideline for pocket money and from what you've said, your biggest concern is likely to be the emissions. As an older car, the limits are a LOT more generous (up to 0.35 iirc) but its not uncommon for an old tired engine to go way over that.

A good service and a warm engine will do wonders though, take the car the long way round on the way to the test and make sure its up to temperature... If possible, ask him to do the emissions first, or if he wont see if he will leave the engine running while he does the rest of the checks.

And most importantly, be nice to him A bit of common decency goes a long way. Make use of the viewing area (if they say they dont have one, walk away, its the law) but dont act like a scrutineer as it will annoy him... Just show an interest in the car and his job, be an enthusiast... Do all that and you never know, he might overlook that warning light on the dash, or the brake light that's out. If he does, chuck him the price of a pint AFTER the test as a tip, and go back to him every year... He will remember you

hth, kthxbye.

Last edited by munky; 14-09-10 at 03:55.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 14-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Thanks for that. Gonna pick the car up Thursday. Taking it to my regular MOT place so hopefully will be sympathetic. If not may have to get creative.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , decat , exhaust , mot , pass , straight