Another F##ked Alloy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Ceredigion
Madness Another F##ked Alloy

This is the second one of my 16" Black Speedlines with a new tire on that is totally F##ked.

The first one was knackered by way of a pot hole putting a flat spot on the rim so the new tire I put on would not stay on the rim. So I ended up with both Alloys in the garage with new tires on and ended up fitting some 14" Steels from a Fiat Punto.

I had to get some new tires for set of speedlines I still had on the rear for this years MOT which went ok and passed.

Then the other day I was going to work, which is down a narrow road, enough for 2 cars to pass if you tuck in. Which I did, I felt the front nearside wheel go over something and then there was a LOUD POP and a clang.

I was only some yards from work so I rolled into the car park got out and had a look, nothing out of the ordinary back tire was a bit low so I though I had hit something and it had knocked the air out.

So I finished work and decided to changed the back wheel for the spare, I got the wheel off and further inspection of the tire I found a small split in between the tread on the tire then turned the wheel round and found there's a 3 inch gash on the inside rim of the Alloy.

Plus the Alloy has a Flat spot as well.

Posted Some Pics Here

So now is the time to look for some 16 inch Steels all round....

Last edited by Kev666; 24-07-10 at 18:42.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
Ouch !

Unfortunately, the 5 spokes are notorious for being made of chocolate.

I have a set, but haven't put them on just yet, not until the roads get a bit better !!

I have the 15" pepperpot alloys on, and they seem to be more sturdier.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 24-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Ceredigion
Yes indeed the wheels I had on my 33 never suffered any damage and some of the roads round here are not the best in places.
AO Platinum Member
My old beast has trashed 8 wheels over the years. The roads are ****e man... you have to budget new alloys into your motoring costs..

Anything low profile is at risk, since the wheel is usually wider, if it's a 16" or 17" alloy (so the inner rim is further away from the spokes that support it), there are fewer spokes compared to a bog-standard 15" pepperpot and the tyre is wafer thin so absorbs less impact than the balloon tyres (well 50 or 55 section) 15" tyres.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , alloy , alloys , f##ked , speedlines , tires , wheels