fuel pump cutting out - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
fuel pump cutting out

wednesday my 155 would'nt start. opened the boot removed the flap & checked the connections on the fuel pump and car starts again but had the same problem again coming to work thursday. this also happened 18 months ago and after investigation by alfa mechanic no fault was found and car has run great ever since. the is no noise of the pump priming when this happens. I can see from a manual how to take out the float but how hard is it to take out the assembly with the pump in it. could there be a dry joint in some connection in the pump assembly from the top of the assembly to the pump. once car fires up again there is no problem to trace but i think its at the fuel pump assembly end rather than at the fuse box as was the case in my MK1 gti years ago which had a similiar fault.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Check the fuel pump cut off switch has not been activated, they are suppose to be under the passenger seat. I ve been looking for mine on my Silverstone but they dont seem to be there on my 2 cars??? Just moving the seat back and forth can trigger them so check that first.
AO Platinum Member
The pump is essentially a 2 piece affair. The pump itself and the sender unit.

You only have to worry about the wiring. There's 2 connector blocks.. one that drives the pump and a smaller one which is attached to the fuel level sender. Check the current at the connector block first.

Try to not remove the pump if you can really help it. To take the pump out you have to first remover the sender unit, otherwise it fouls the fuel pump hole and you won't be able to withdraw the pump. That's just an interference fit.. half a turn anti-clockwise.. sealed in with a rubber gasket.

The only way to turn it is by levering against the 2 tabs you see on top of the unit. I absolutely guarantee that your sender unit tabs will just disintegrate (it'll be stiff to turn and the tabs are brittle). If you do get the beast out, it'll be just as awkward to re-fit it and sender units (new) are like dodo doo-doo. I found one in a Fiat dealer in Scotland (Aye!) but that was one of the last ones anywhere in the network (fits a Tempra too).

The pump itself is held in with that big knurled wheel. If you hammer it anticlockwise using a drift it will unscrew but the gasket will expand when you take it out and you'll have a job re-sealing it again. A new gasket is still available but accessibility is tight and it's difficult to tighten the beast up properly.

The pump itself has very few electical connections that could have come undone.. so it's worth ignoring the pump itself and concentrate on the relays and the wiring to it first.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

cutting , fuel , pump