Water thru ventilation system in cabin - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 26-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Water thru ventilation system in cabin

Now that autumn is upon us I am experiencing a really irritating problem in my 155.
After rainfall, apparently, the water runs into the ventilation systen. It first becomes apparent when I turn left, the centrifugal forces allows the water til spille over from somewhere below the glovebox and run out to the right near the panle in front of the front door.
OK - I know that the water shouldn't be there in the first place, but I haven't been able to locate the drain channels near the front windscreen.

What I am assuming is that when rain falls, it basically spills ver and runs in throu the vents and down in to the bottom of the internals.

So, is there anybody out there that has any advice - or has had same issue.

On top of this, the sprinkler washer is not squirting - found out that the pump is ok, but apparently, there is som sludge in the washer container - how the hell do I get this out??

It seems as if the whole side panel has to come off, but is this really the case.

Any input would be welcome - from a mobile sauna unit.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
drain holes blocked.... remove the black trim before the winsshield, unblock the drains (both sides), put back the trim, done!

can't you just take the pump out of the washer tank? it's mounted in a rubber... remove the wheel liner
AO Platinum Member
Aye! The front channel drains are under the plastic shield in front of the windscreen, so you have to take the wiper arms off and then unscrew the 6 or 8 little screws holding it on. The drains are slots with a plastic "drain pipe" coming out of the bottom.. which channels water down the bulkhead, inside of the engine bay. It could be yours are blocked and the water is then tipping over the lip into the air intake instead.

The washer bottle can come out.. you have to take it out through the wheel arch, so it's a wheel and liner off job. It's just about possible to swap the motor without removing the tank from the car.. but you'll have to lift off the header tank and prop it up somewhere.. then push the washer bottle backwards to get you hands on the washer motor itself.

Washer motor could be shagged.. it may make a noise (go round) but if the internal impeller has disintegrated (who says plastic never decomposes??) then all you'll be doing is spinning the spindle but not actually pumping.

A new motor is just about still available but a rather shocking £35 (?) or thereabouts from AR. I've seen them on eBay too.. about £10. I'd swap the motor .. frankly once you're in there, it's not worth the hassle to put it all back together again while the new motor you discovered you do need after all arrives .. then having to dismantle it all again to fit it.

Also.. buy a meter of plastic tubing from the Big H. The '55 used rubber hoses and that's likely to be perishing now .. yours will inevitably split and start to leak the week after you changed the motor! (ask me how I know!) New hose from AR is now plastic.. so they spotted that one too!

So.. while you're in there, fit a new motor and a new hose regardless.. and then that's job done for the next 5 years.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 29-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Fixed - thanks

Well, it all ended well. After driving around in a sauna for a couple of days, putting my life at stake, I finally solved the problem.

I lifted off the radiator expansion tank - folded the pipes so that I could get to the washer container.

Filled up the container with very warm water - took out the washer motor and pushed the very soft (warm water works) rubber 'gasket' taht the washer motor is mounted in, down in to the bottom of the washer container.

**** - how the hell do I go about getting that out - well a long wore coathanger bent with a bit of a hook and ring at the bottom did the job.

The rubber grommet has a very fine masked filter put on to the end and this was totally blocked with sludge. A good clean and then ran warm water through the container a few times had the container totally clean and free from sludge.

So now it sprinkles as enthusiastically and uncontrolled as a 16 year old teenager watching Pamela Andersen home video ;-)

The blocked draing pipes was solved by removing all the black pla“stic as advised, and then finding the center (!) hole blocked.

Again, removing the sludge and the leaves follwoed by plentyfull warm water has now created a dry, dry, mistfree esperience regardlsess of the weather.

I haven't tried to see if it waorks with Pamela invited to a drivein movie on a cold and rainy day - but the again, then the windows are supposed to fog up !!!

All the best

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

cabin , system , ventilation , water