Gearbox oil change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Gearbox oil change

Hi Lads,

Was under the bonnet yesterday just sussing out going about the oil change and although the owners manual clearly shows how to change the gearbox oil the filler inlet and drain outlet are both mounted vertically which doesn't really make sense, as opposed to the the engine oil sump outlet which is horizontal so the stuff falls out. The problem then is actually trying to pour the oil in probably needs some sort of funnel to do it and then to drain out the stuff it seems it would run down the side of the box so that confuses where to put the drainage bowl
Am I making sense? any thoughts on this because I want to be sure what I'm doing before starting

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Nordjylland

Member car:

155 2.0 TS 8v

Just changed mine yesterday on my 8v, dont know if thats the same as yours?.
But it is pretty easy.
Undo drainage plug, put a bowl under it. wasnt too messy in my case. the hole is near the bottum?.
undo filler cap.
tighten up drainage plug, it has a tapered thread on it, so dont tigthen it insanely hard, else you will damage the thread(torque wrench would be good.. but the wishbone is in the way, so cant fit any big tool.. atleast i couldnt).
Fill in 2liters (workshop manual states until it reaches the lower edge of reverse light switch hole, but filler and reverse light switch are about the same hight.. so.. but just fill in 2 liters).
screw in filler cap.. job done .

And about getting the oil in, my oil bottles had a built in funnel thing, made it easy.. but yeah, guess you can join a hose and small funnel, if yours dont have that.
hope i helped.
AO Platinum Member
Just one point: Always ALWAYS remove the filler plug BEFORE you remove the drain plug.

It would be very annoying to drain the oil and only then find that the fill plug won't come out...!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

change , gearbox , oil