Low performance at low revs - Timing variator control valve? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Banja Luka
Low performance at low revs - Timing variator control valve?

Hello guys,

Recently I have noticed significant loss in performance when driving at low revs (2000-3000) and when accelerating. I checked under hood visually and noticed some oil leaking around the timing variator control valve.

Is it possible that this could lead to the loss of performance I've mentioned? Also, there is a bit of diesel sound at start-up. Does this leaking can make the timing variator (because is controlled by this control valve) doesn't operate correctly and how to clean this valve if it is clogged. I don't think timing variator is finished his job because the timing belt (including timing variator) was changed 40,000 km ago.

And to mention - the model is Alfa Romeo 155, 2.0, Twin Spark Engine.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Your loss of power is more likely to be the MAF (Air flow meter) ......try unplugging it and see if it makes any difference - if its better or no worse, that's likely to be the fault. The variator doesn't activate the cam advance until about 3000 revs, so even if it was unserviceable, it wouldn't affect low revs power....

But the diesel noise is probably down to the variator, though the leaking from the actuator probably doesn't have any effect on this.....
AO Member
County: -
Variator solenoid is activated at 1400rpm on the 155 ECU and it actually does make a difference in torque at low revs, eg taking off from a standstill.

Doesn;t mean it's your problem, but dont rule it out like I did and spend ages trying to find where the missing torque was.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

control , low , performance , revs , timing , valve , variator