Encourage me !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 22-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Boring Encourage me !!

What should I do? My 155 1.8 is coming up for the dreaded MOT!!! Last year had to do some welding around the driver seat belt area and was 'advised' that the handbrake or rear brakes were just under the acceptable limit also slight play in steering rack. Cambelt and variator etc due now as it's 3.5 years (but only 24000 miles) since last done, however loads of dosh! Love the car even though she's not perfect, I've got a VERY good man who looks after her, however should I look to a 156 or invest more in the 155? 155's are getting rare now and I feel I should keep her going. Give me some feedback please.
Sponsored Links
It's the old head / heart thing that is not easy to answer

I would say keep Her going, but does sound like it could be a pricey MOT / service this time

If she's worth more than money to you, I say keep Her
keep her going, you could go and buy a 156 and end up chucking loads of cash at that aswell
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 22-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Ta!!!!!! You're giving me the kick up the ?!?! that I need! Thanks I needed that, but you know don't you? I wish I'd asked that question when I had my 75 or my 2 33's. Why did I sell them? Incidentally Had some sort of INBRED jump out of the bushes the other day and got a tug for 42 in a 30 just as I was coming up to the national 60!! What a good little money earner! Any comments?
County: East Sussex

Member car:

take a day off, give AforAlfa in Aylesbury a call, have ablat over there, he'll do a cracking job for a smashing price and your 155 will be sweet as candy
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

I think you've already made your mind up, but just to assure you... keep it!! So much more special than a 156, becoming a real rarity now. I get a lots of glances when driving mine, it makes me feel like I'm driving something that bit more interesting. I doubt 156 drivers get the same reaction (not including GTA's!).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Similar dilema myself. Not the MOT - mine sailed though, but the engine was FUBAR. Big-end knock due to damaged crank plus a pair of chewed cams & followers (it;s a V6). It's been getting noisier and noisier as time goes by, oil pressue is lower every day, knock on startup lasts longer every day, but in the end, I decided to sort out a replacement engine for it and keep it going a few more years. It's a lot of work and a silly amount of money on a car worth 500 tops, but the rest of the car is a known quantity. If I got rid and went out and bought a cheap (similar to waht it's costing to fix the 155) 156 etc, I'd be in unknown territory. Could get lucky, more likely I'd end up with a dog. With luck, when i do come to sell, I'll be able to recoup some of the costs as the engine will be sound.

It's a tough call, as you aren't really able to say for sure what another car will cost you....so you have to go with the heart I guess.

AO Platinum Member
Aye! 155 is a classic!

Ralf S.
AO Member
County: West Sussex
I've just come back to 155's after a few years (and a couple of other Alfa's in between). It's a totally illogical move to buy such a valueless car...but I believe they are at the bottom of their value slope and the good, well maintained cars will start to increase in value in the next few years......That's the head bit.

The heart bit is I've had 13 Alfa's over the last 30 or so years - from Sud, through Guillietta/Alfetta GTV/155/156/916 Spider.....lots of them but only 2 models have tempted me to buy more than one car - the SUD (3) and the 155 - also on my third.

The 155 is special....it's the Tarquini car...the BTCC & the DTM car and everything that suggests....probably the last great race car to date from Alfa and that counts for lots in my book....and I think you can feel the racing blood line in a 155 - especially with the sportpack option....

So....just spent another 500 on her this weekend with probably the same and then some more over the next month....do I care...well, yes but then I go and take her on my favourite road and know that's money well spent!

If I wanted it to work, I'd buy a VW
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Originally Posted by IlovemyV6 View Post
take a day off, give AforAlfa in Aylesbury a call, have ablat over there, he'll do a cracking job for a smashing price and your 155 will be sweet as candy
i would second that top spanner man

yea you got to keep her , its the next classic alfa
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
KEEP THE 155 !!

You'll regret selling her from the the moment you hand over the keys.

When she's driving away from you, you'll look and hear her and you'll want to run after her and rip her back out of the hands of who took her away.

Brakes are easy to sort out.
Remove all the calipers, clean em up, make sure the sliders are well greased and moving freely. Get some nice fresh fluid in the system, bleed it through .. don't forget the clutch slave.
Make sure the rear bias is working properly - you'll be amazed how much difference it makes when the rears are helping to brake - jack up the rear passenger side, put her on stands so the suspension is compressed, you'll see the valve above the exhaust.
Spray some wd40 on the adjuster bolt, persuade it to move, make sure the cylinder on the valve is moving, you should be able to feel it moving when pulling down on the adjuster, make sure the spring is doing its job - maybe shorten it like I did - hang 10kg of weight on the adjuster maybe a bit more if you want, job done.
I had to do mine last week (rear bias), it took about 30 minutes, including shortening the spring.

gone but never forgotten . new blue

XBOX Gamertag : celadon278
Xbox Forza3 AO : Class B joint 3rd

Battle scars
One extra hint following on from celadons great write up...

My lever would not move at all... no way no how as bolt was siezed and the two bits of metal were stuck solid together.

If you find the same. there is a rubber cover over bottom of adjustment lever and valve. Pull this off and at bottom of lever is a small pivot pin secured with a split pin... Take lever off here and drop it into WD40 for 20min...

Re-attach and grease bottom of lever when re-attaching, rubber cover back over and adjust spring as per celadons advice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155