Is this a deal too good to miss? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-04-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 42
County: Antrim
Is this a deal too good to miss?

I've come across a 1996 2.0 16V Super with the speedlines in Proteo Red for £400 ono. The car has done 93,000 miles and is supposed to have a folder of old MOTs and service receipts. I have checked with the original supplying dealer and they have some history on the car from '96 to '04.

As I will be defecting from the GTA to a VXR8 and would still like an Alfa in my life is this worth a punt.

What are the main things to look out for aside from the obvious service history and usual under bonnet checks?

Hard work never killed anyone.

That’s the trouble – I want to engage in something that has a little danger to it
Sponsored Links
Re: Is this a deal too good to miss?

Seems an ok deal if it is in good condition.

Defo check rear quarters just behine arches, rear arches inside door and under boot floor etc. for corrosion (this seems to be the area where most 155's are affected 1st).

Usual suspension components that go TRE's, Drop Link and wishbones (though all are easy enough DIY items to change and cheap enough).

16v engine check when cambelt was last done. It's a 40,000 mile item and should have tensioners etc changed at same time. If it is due a cambelt then £400 may not be so good unless it is a minter.

Do not skimp on cambelt change on a 16v there is a reason they are 40,000 miles.

Other than that jsut treat it as any other car. Usual checks etc.

Oh one last thing... The rear trailing Arm bearings are another point that sometimes needs sorted (you can tell as the rear wheels camber will be all off and the wheel will lean in towards body at top quite noticeablly).

AO Platinum Member

Aye! Look for rust along the floopan next to the sill. It's worst at the front of the car.

Brake pipes will be rusty.. at the caliper end by the flexible hose and under the floor by the front wheel arch (where they bend under the bulkhead to go to the rear of the car).

Rear calipers may be weak (look for rusty discs).

Rear wheel arches have been mentioned.

Cam-belt and tensioner, plus varigator on the T/Sparks is essential... then it's just front suspension and normal car stuff. The rest of the '55 is pretty well-'ard though.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

deal , good , miss