A strange occurance but still managed 1200 miles in 48 hours! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Hmmm A strange occurance but still managed 1200 miles in 48 hours!

Hi all,

Well my 180 155 took me and some friends a grand total of 1200 miles this weekend! I'm really quite surprised and extremely pleased, especially when I consider the number of faults I've had to overcome in the last couple of months!

She ran absolutely perfectly until 200 miles from home.... I'd been driving solid for exactly 2.5 hours, I was in outside lane of the M1 at about 85mph and she just completely died on me, no fault lights, no warning, no nothing? I coasted her to the hard shoulder fearing that the cambelt had just let go.

I had a rumage under the bonnet and all appeared OK, hence I turned her over and to my surprise she started first time..... the only obvious issue at this point is that the orange 'code' light was lit on the dash.

Turned her off again, had another look around, contemplated ringing the AA but in the end decided to start her up a gently limp her to the next exit.

Once again she started fine, this time no code light either, gently eased her along at 70mph and decided just to keep going..... amazingly she did the 200 miles home with no further problems!!

Since then she's been fine but I am concerned that this may happen again, to be honest cutting out at that speed is a little scary and hence I would like to avoid a repeat!

Any ideas? Has anyone encountered the same problem, I can't find anything too similar to this on the forums. I'm thnking this is an immobiliser issue but would welcome advice on the matter?

At least it wasn't a cambelt!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 155???

Re: A strange occurance but still managed 1200 miles in 48 hours!

Sounds more like a loss of electrical power which shut the engine off seeing as there were no warning lights etc. Start with the battery connections and the earths to the chassis and engine. Then start at the ignition switch and check all the connections and then have a look at the fuses incase the holders etc have become a tad loose
Re: A strange occurance but still managed 1200 miles in 48 hours!

Got to say check battery terminals and the condition of the connectors for any fuses and relays in the engine bay...

Clean and grease any dirty connections on the fuses/relays. Hopefully that will sort it.

The other year I had my 155 V6 on a tour... 1200 miles from east coast Scotland to west coast of Ireland. Was a great car for the long run.

PS just noticed the avatar is a pic taken on that trip.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

1200 , hours , managed , miles , occurance , strange