Darn exhaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 15-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Darn exhaust

I replaced the one piece rear exhaust section (listed and purchased from on buypartsby.co.uk as part number AR158V, made by Timax I recall) roughly 2 years ago, and it's given up the ghost and sheered at the weld into the rear silencer.
The rest of the this part from the cat back (mid box etc) look in pretty good condition so I was wondering if an option would be to get a custom rear box fitted to this, possibly saving me a few quid.

The break was in the same place as the previous one, suggesting that this is a weak point in the design.

I'm posting here to see if anyone had done this before and whether the concensus is that this is a bad idea and I should go for a whole new rear section, whether it be another Timax or something more reliable (and hence expensive).

Thoughts people??
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Re: Darn exhaust

could fit a super sprint rear box
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

If the break was in the same place, ie the weld into the box, I would suggest that you check/replace all the rubber mountings from the cat back.
They tend to stretch after a while, one of mine had elongated by another 50% (about 3cms).

My rear silencer had split in the same place as yours, and when I replaced it, I also found the centre silencer (the big square one) had started to split on the weld on the inlet.
When I ordered a replacement exhaust, I also got new mountings and was surprised at the amount of stretching that had occurred.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset

I have a peco one on mine as the original one broke in the same place as yours so yes it is possible. I fitted mine with a sleave to make sure it didn't leak.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 16-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Thanks all for the replies. After a chat to my mechanic mate, he reckons he can sleeve a length of steel pipe in and re-weld, which should hold for a while, god knows how long!

Gives me a bit of breathing space to decide on a replacement. The other niggles he's looking at may effect that

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

darn , exhaust