Changing a starter motor - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hmmm Changing a starter motor

Hi, anyone got any tips on changing a starter motor on a 2ltr twin spark, not done anything like this on a 155 before, mostly work on old British motors, any help gratefully recieved, even if it's just don't do it, cheers
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
Re: Changing a starter motor

nothing special, though it's bolted in a bit more vigorous than your average starter... think the 8v unit is held on by about 7 bolts, not including cables... attack it from underneeth....
AO Member

I recently changed one on a 16V. It's held with 4 M10 bolts, two of which you can only reach from above, one you can get to from above or below and one you can only get to from below. You'll need a 13mm socket, various extention bars and a 13mm spanner (one of those ratheting ones would probably be best). You'll also need a 10mm to undo the smaller contact stud nut. Best undo the connections first.

I had the battery and battery tray out when I did mine and it helped get to the upper bolts. One is tucked away behind the block; you can't see it but you can get a spanner in there.

You have to take the front section of the ehaust off to get the starter out from below. I unhooked the hangers and undid/snapped the studs on the bottom of the manifold, then lowered it and pushed it to one side (after removing the ally protecting plate).

It's not a fun job, unless you compare it with changing the clutch master cylinder! I found the worst part was trying to hold the replacement starter in position while getting the first nut started. An assistant might be handy for that.

If yours is an 8V, disregard all that and wait for advice someone who knows!

Good luck!
AO Platinum Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

changing mine at some point, shouldnt be too bad as mines held with only 2 bolts and battery is in the boot

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

changing , motor , starter