Exhaust for 16V - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Exhaust for 16V

The lozenge shaped silencer on my lowered '97 2.0 16V has taken a bit of a bashing and needs replacing. I noticed a 'full' Ansa system on Ebay recently at a tempting price and bought it, but now I have a problem.

I should have investigated the parts catalogue first, as there are two systems listed for my car (even after specifying precise chassis number). My original is all of a piece from just behind the cat, where it joins with a 'U' type clamp. the Ansa works with the other system, where it joins behind the first silencer with a flange.

Checking through the parts CD, it appears I'd have to replace the front silencer, cat and front pipe to get the Ansa system to fit; the only common parts are the header and some of the bracketry.

These aren't parts you usually see advertised, so does anyone know of a way to join the two systems (that is, withot recourse to a custom pipe maker).
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Re: Exhaust for 16V

weld it yourself
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Hmm , I don't see an easy answer , I imagine your vendor doesn't have "your" type , so you can swap ?
Have you funds to buy the correct system for your car , & resell the other on the bay ?
I'd sure be getting the correct type , no point making it even more of a tough job to do !!
All the best.
AO Platinum Member

Cut both systems at a convenient place.

Get a short piece of pipe made up (about 4" long) that has a 1mm bigger internal diameter than the existing pipes (so it fits over them).

Use a U-clamp on each end.

If the Ansa has a bigger bore, you'll have to heat your pipe up and stretch it to make it fit over the Ansa (or with luck) it may fit inside the Ansa.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

16v , exhaust