Good tips! Cheers Chris.
I decided to leave the manifolds attached to the heads as they're a sleeping dog, after all. I just about managed to get the heads out of the car with the manifolds attached (for the rear one I had to climb into the engine bay!
) so I hope they'll drop back in again with no hassles when I put it all back.
The studs I can't shift are the head studs. They must be "sealed" to the threads in the cases with some special gloop to stop them coming undone. I have one of those stud extractor sockets but it doesn't grip the bolts tightly enough.
I have new head studs and the old studs are a bit scuffed up now, so I want to persevere and put new ones in. I think you're supposed to anyway..
Do you know the torque settings for the cylinder head nuts and the tightening sequence?
Does the gasket need any special preparation for extra sealing. On a thermostat or rocker gasket I usually add a bit of Blue Hylomar to help the gasket.. but what about the HG? They seem to have lines of sealant already bonded to them.. do they just go in "dry"...?
The rear head seems a teeny bit bowed out, so may need a skim. The front one looks bootiful. That gasket was starting to fall to bits but was probably still gas tight.
The rear one (that failed) was black with red sealant. Anyone know what make it was? The front one looks Genuine Part (blue-grey with the black sealant).
I'm trying to work out which one is the older one. I had "the gaskets" changed once before but the mechanic never told me if he did one (and which one it was) or both. I assumed he'd swapped both but it seems he may have just swapped one.
I'm guessing the beast has the original front head gasket and a replacement rear, which has just failed again.. but obviously it could also have had one of each, or one front, two rear.. though that seems like a lot of gaskets...
Spent the weekend with a pot of kerosene and a some lolly sticks cleaning the inside of the cylinder heads. There was a lot of black sticky "chocolate" all over the heads.. It's pretty clean now (for the difference it'll make..
I used a toothbrush to clean off the "varnish" on the cam lobes... They look in very good nick... I'm pleased at the complete lack of wear (it seems).
I won't spin the crank .. I didn't think it might shift the liners!
The pistons look good too.. just a bit oily with a bit of carbon on them. I often use some of that Redex as it's supposed to keep the fuel system clean and sometimes I use oil flush to clean out the gum when I change the oil.. but on this evidence they don't seem to do much. It was black and nasty in there. A bit shinier now...