Boot Locked - boot button failed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 22-01-08 Thread Starter
Help Boot Locked - boot button failed

Hi everyone

Due to the boot barrely being different to the rest of the car locks i've always had to unlock the boot via the button in the glovebox.

Today it doesnt pop it open, I hear a clicking under the steering wheel area as if its trying to unlock but I havent investigated further.

Any suggestions of where to look

Thanks for your help !
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Re: Boot Locked - boot button failed

Ski flap and a small child who's good with tools
AO Platinum Member

The power to the boot lock goes via a wire that runs inside the rubber grommet at the top left hand corner of the boot opening. All those wires flex when you open the boot so in time they are prone to fatigue.

The boot release is especially prone as it is quite heavy duty compared to the others (thicker and more likely to crease, rather than bend).

The only way to repair that wire is to open the boot, so you won't have any joy there.

The ski-hatch is the only way to access the boot.. but if you're desperate you can drill the bootlock out. It's held in place under the badge with 2 shear bolts. If you drill into the bolts, they're soft enough to use stud extractors on (it's the normal way to get them out).

That will allow you to tug the linkage to open the boot. You can get new bolts from the dealer. Don't disconnect the linkages.. it's a triple-jointed spider monkey job to reconnect them.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset

Yep it's the wires on the top left as stated by ralf s. The lock in the boot should be the same but over time and lack of use they become stiff. Get some oil, from dip stick or fresh and wipe it on the key. Put the key in and out of the boot lock repeatedly to work the oil in. Eventually the boot should open (usually takes a couple of goes).
Failing this you'll have to drill it.
Once the boot is open though you should be able to pull the rubber casing back enough to expose the wires. On mine I cut a new piece of wire and threaded it through the rubber casing. They are really tightly packed in there so wd40 or oil helps. I put a blunt screw driver through then taped the wire to it and pulled it back through. Once the wire was through i just added a connector on each end and connected it back up. Hey presto boot lock works.
Its wise to check all the wires because fog and numberplate lights run through there as well ( my number plate lights didnt work either!)

Hope all goes well,

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

I had the same problem with mine, and there were a couple of problems that caused it. One was the wiring as described above, the other was the fuse had blown on the relay holder under the dash.
It was clicking as you described, but there was no current getting to boot release due to the fuse being blown, so it may be that a change of fuse could save a lot of trouble with the rubber wiring protector.
AO Member

should point out the back seat is dead easy to remove to save you messing about through the ski hatch, there are 2 M6 allen bolts on the leading edge of the bench and another 2 tucked under the bottom of the back rest, it then slides up and out

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

boot , button , failed , locked