Help and advice in buying alfa romeo 155 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Help and advice in buying alfa romeo 155

Hi guys,
i'm from Egypt, and it's the first time to buy a car, there is an alfa romeo 155 1994 in good price for me, but i don't know anything about it
the person who owned it, he said, the speed cursor and temp cursor don't work, and the air conditioner needs compressor which i can cost too, the ads for this car at:
https://olx.com.eg/en/ad/-ID76fdH.html#d8a9f9cd17

what do you guys think about it?
is it going to make me tired?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
It does look like it's been "well used".

It would all depend on the price.
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by visof View Post
Hi guys,
i'm from Egypt, and it's the first time to buy a car, there is an alfa romeo 155 1994 in good price for me, but i don't know anything about it
the person who owned it, he said, the speed cursor and temp cursor don't work, and the air conditioner needs compressor which i can cost too, the ads for this car at:
https://olx.com.eg/en/ad/-ID76fdH.html#d8a9f9cd17

what do you guys think about it?
is it going to make me tired?
The best of luck with the repairs

This lounge is a good start for advice.

(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
It does look like it's been "well used".

It would all depend on the price.
it's price about 1900$, is it easy to start repairing its electrical system, which response on show the temp of engine, speed of car, also are the faults of this car much?, or it will be very good choice for first drive, also here in Egypt there are no much technicians who can work in alfa romeo, because it's sorta complex than lancer, fiat, .... other cars, i'm software developer and i would like to know how the things work?, so i'm very patient to learn the internal of the car and how can i maintain it?, what do you think guys please?
what do you think about hyndai axel, tempra, scoda, mazda, .....?
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
The best of luck with the repairs

This lounge is a good start for advice.
so do you think i should get away from it?, and search another better condition ?
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

please guys someone help me in this because i don't have experience in cars?, when i saw alfa i feel my heart choose it not the brain, like i swim in anti direction, but i'm afraid if it will make me tired and cost a lot of money, i'm planning to learn how can i maintain the car "is it easy for alfa" i mean for basic things .
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
I don't suppose it will have the same issues as we do in Britain due to the differing climate.

Check for any visual signs of rust around the rear wheel arches and boot.
Being an 8v engine, check when the chain was last adjusted.

Without any rust issues, these are brilliant cars, but that one does look tired.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celadon View Post
I don't suppose it will have the same issues as we do in Britain due to the differing climate.

Check for any visual signs of rust around the rear wheel arches and boot.
Being an 8v engine, check when the chain was last adjusted.

Without any rust issues, these are brilliant cars, but that one does look tired.
what do you mean with "rust around the rear wheel arches and boot" and "chain was last adjusted"? sorry i'm very new in cars + my english isn't that good.
also do you mean this problem is the main only problem in alfa romeo 155 model 1994 ?
also the pointer of speed and oil don't work, is this easy to fix?
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

also where can i found the compressor of the air conditioner? to check if it's there or not?, is there a fast check can the person do to check if the Air conditioner has simple issue and can be fixed? or even check to tell if it has major issue and won't be fixed easily?
what checks should i do as normal person for this car https://olx.com.eg/en/ad/-ID76f0Q.html#f9f01ff837 ?
please guys help me because i'm going to go tomorrow to check it face-to-face.
please if anyone can give any indications to know if i should get this car or not from it's condition when i see it?

Thanks in advance.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
In the UK we worry about rust at the back end - around the fuel filler cap and rear wings. You probably don't have that problem - which is good, as rust kills cars here.

Aircon compressor is at the bottom left hand side of the engine as you look at it with the bonnet open. You can see it from underneath easily, just about from on top. OK - realised this is a TS, mine is a V6. It will still be in the same place, but probably higher up. Working out what is wrong with it - harder problem, you need to look at the overall air con system. It might be broken - but something else might be broken (no gas, blocked condenser etc).

The only check I can think of is switching the air con on - you should hear the compressor engaging with a clunk. If it does, then the electrics and gas pressures are OK, and the compressor is knackered (assuming no cold air). If the compressor does not engage, then the electrics may be knackered, or there may be no gas.

Speedo + gauges - god knows, probably wiring. Look up "Alfa 155 workshop manuals" - they are all online, and the wiring diagrams are there.

Checks to do - drive it. Funny noises from the engine - walk away. Bad handling - budget to fix it.
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by visof View Post
so do you think i should get away from it?, and search another better condition ?
No, I was just wishing you the best with repairs, meant nothing else.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page