Question regarding cruise control retrofit - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By mirlock
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By Mitch916
  • 1 Post By David C
  • 1 Post By Slewis
  • 1 Post By Mav666
  • 1 Post By lkomnino

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 08-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Question regarding cruise control retrofit

Hi,
I am thinking on doing the retrofit as my car does not have cruise control and I really like the feature.
I am pretty sure my car is compatible (156 1.9 JTDm 150 55 reg.) but when I have a look at the dash dials and dash warning panel, I can't see any icon for the cruise control (the one that looks like a dial and is green when the cruise control is active)
Will this icon show on the central screen instead? (the one in the top central upper vents)
Many thanks

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheVarix; 08-07-16 at 20:23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
Not sure about any light on dash but if your car has the option you will have a white square or rectangle plug on the left side of steering wheel under the column cover ( you may have to look for it as it may have been poked back under dash)
TheVarix likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Surely the car should be fitted with cruise control as standard?
TheVarix likes this.

(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
It's a 156 veloce. I am not sure...I think it was an option. What I know for sure is that I don't have a cruise control stalk.

(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlock View Post
Not sure about any light on dash but if your car has the option you will have a white square or rectangle plug on the left side of steering wheel under the column cover ( you may have to look for it as it may have been poked back under dash)
Thanks, I guess I'll have to remove the cowling... For what I have read here I was almost sure it would fit but then it occurred to me that there should be something on the dash letting you know it's on but I could not (and I still can't) see it...

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
The light is on the display between the dials. I have done the retro fit and it worked really well

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
TheVarix likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
None of them had cruise control as std. It was an option.
But any 147/GT or post 2002 (interior facelift) 156 can retro-fit by just fitting the stalk.
TheVarix likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 09-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
None of them had cruise control as std. It was an option.
But any 147/GT or post 2002 (interior facelift) 156 can retro-fit by just fitting the stalk.
Thanks everyone! I am going to give Autolusso a ring. My local Alfa dealer has told me they don't have any more stalks in stock. Apparently they've been discontinued and they couldn't even order one (they had the cowling though).

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156

It may be some help but I have a set of stalks with cruise control from a 147. I believe they can be made to fit and work on a 156 but you would need to check.
TheVarix likes this.
AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
I did this last year on the very same car, a 150 Veloce same year, it's a simple plug and play fit. The light to say its on or off is in the middle of the speedo, as it's been said you should find a white multi plus when you take the lower cowling off the steering column.

The 147/GT I've no doubt fits but it's a different size and look to the correct one for a 156 and would look right on the car, there are enough correct ones out there, try and buy one that's provided with the lower cowling just to save you the hassle of cutting the hole required in yours, although it is only a 5 min job!!

Attaches with one screw IIRC, and no need to do anything other than plug it in and away you go
TheVarix likes this.

75 in 2002, 156 in 2014, GT since 2015....
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Just fitted a CC stalk yesterday, and now for some reason VDC Failure error keeps occuring. Resets on turning off. Have used knock off chinese ODB2 Bluetooth dongle and 'torque' on my android and doesn't show any faults.
The slip-ring is self locating which is usually the thing that causes the error, however i stupidly undid the module which sits at 6 o'clock under column spline. Is that the slip ring for this?
Is there a way to reset 'straight ahead' via obd2, or are there markings to setup like on my Audi's slip ring?
Any advise greatly appreciated.
CC works fine though, on my 156 JTS Turismo 2003.

found a pic in eLearn, shows everything apart from the bit i'm on about!! Highlit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg column.JPG (31.8 KB, 4 views)
TheVarix likes this.

Last edited by lkomnino; 19-07-16 at 06:18. Reason: addition
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkomnino View Post
Just fitted a CC stalk yesterday, and now for some reason VDC Failure error keeps occuring. Resets on turning off. Have used knock off chinese ODB2 Bluetooth dongle and 'torque' on my android and doesn't show any faults.
The slip-ring is self locating which is usually the thing that causes the error, however i stupidly undid the module which sits at 6 o'clock under column spline. Is that the slip ring for this?
Is there a way to reset 'straight ahead' via obd2, or are there markings to setup like on my Audi's slip ring?
Any advise greatly appreciated.
CC works fine though, on my 156 JTS Turismo 2003.

found a pic in eLearn, shows everything apart from the bit i'm on about!! Highlit:
Hi,
Did you remove the steering wheel? I have fitted my cc stalk today and did not remove anything other than the cowling... I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem but I hope you get it fixed soon.
By the way, for those of you thinking of doing this, it's easy but fiddly. Make sure you get the 2 screws as the one at the front is double the length of the original.
I managed to fit the one at the back as well. I felt like the bloody Houdiny, though. Had to look at it from underneath to be able to see what I was doing. For the front, just turn the steering wheel to the left to give you more room to get a screw driver in. As I said, a bit fiddly but that's all.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...cd6f497a4a.jpg

This is how I set up my small ratchet to tighten up the back screw. There's very little room, definitely not enough to get a screw driver in...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...c703ce31bd.jpg

Last edited by TheVarix; 25-07-16 at 21:54.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
control , cruise , question , retrofit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page