Is there any downside to wide tires and are these brands any good? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 05-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Is there any downside to wide tires and are these brands any good?

Currently I'm running Continental ContiSport Contact tires on my 147, 245/45/17 in the front, and 245/50/17 in the back. The tire is pretty wide and I'm wondering if there are any big downsides to running a wider than usual tire. Obviously, other than the poorer turning radius.

Also, are "Sportiva" or "GoodYear" tires any good?

245/45/17 sportivas are 80€ a piece and the GoodYear Eagle F1s Assymetric 2 are 85€, despite being "only" 225/45.

I'd rather get the wider ones because I prefer the looks. If I can, I'd put even wider tires, if there aren't any major downsides other than being more expensive, possibly getting worse mileage.

Sorry for the dumb post.

Edit: A lot of "Tracmaxx" tires keep popping up, and are only 50€ per piece. I'm guessing these are probably very bad. I don't usually drive very fast, but I'd like my car to be stable and not dance around, like it did in a heavy rain two months ago. Almost lost control twice. Friend said it's because the tires are wide, but it could also be because they should be changed soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
sorry im not hot on tyres . but i am surprised you got 245's on wished i knew 245's would fit before i bought my new ones i would have got some i got 235 x 40 x 18 instead
but mines for the drag track

Last edited by mirlock; 05-07-16 at 21:01.
AO Platinum Member

Are you really running 245/50R17 ....???
They are 52mm bigger in diameter than the std 215/45R17.!!!

FAR too big.

sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

A 245 tyre on what I'd guess is a 7" wheel is very over-tyred
The overall height, especially on the back must be huge

Goodyear make decent tyres in my opinion, particularly F1 Asymetric
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
wider tyres are more prone to aquaplaning but you've already found that out. Different diameter tyres front and back will mess up the ASR and Anti-lock braking module, not good in a car already more prone to aquaplaning, oh forgot you've already found that out. Cheap tyres are cheap either because they are made from cheap materials or made in a country with very low unskilled labour costs. . . .or both.
tyre width shouldn't affect your turning circle a huge amount if at all unless they're so wide they rub on the wheel arches and restrict the lateral wheel pivot before that point was reached however I think they'd rub against the shocks but nobody'd be dumb enough to run tyres that wide. surely.

Hi Sye, I've found Asymetric directional tyres are prone to strange wear patterns on my GT but neither pair were Goodyears I hasten to add
(Post Link) post #6 of 27 Old 05-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshirekeith View Post
wider tyres are more prone to aquaplaning but you've already found that out. Different diameter tyres front and back will mess up the ASR and Anti-lock braking module, not good in a car already more prone to aquaplaning, oh forgot you've already found that out. Cheap tyres are cheap either because they are made from cheap materials or made in a country with very low unskilled labour costs. . . .or both.
tyre width shouldn't affect your turning circle a huge amount if at all unless they're so wide they rub on the wheel arches and restrict the lateral wheel pivot before that point was reached however I think they'd rub against the shocks but nobody'd be dumb enough to run tyres that wide. surely.

Hi Sye, I've found Asymetric directional tyres are prone to strange wear patterns on my GT but neither pair were Goodyears I hasten to add
The ASR and ABS are, indeed, messed up and they turn on whenever I brake harder or start a bit too fast. And when I bought the car, it had 245/45s in front and 50s in the back. They're not rubbing on the wheel arches, but they did when the car was lowered. The F1 Asy3's are 225/45, and I'm probably going to get those. Is a lower profile, like 40 for example, going to benefit the car in any way other than looks? Will it mess up the speedo much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sye View Post
A 245 tyre on what I'd guess is a 7" wheel is very over-tyred
The overall height, especially on the back must be huge

Goodyear make decent tyres in my opinion, particularly F1 Asymetric
Looked at some reviews for the F1 Asy 3's and they got some pretty good reviews! Thinking of getting those when it's time for replacing. They're 225/45 so I guess they're closer to what Alfa has originally planned for it.

Last edited by gijst; 05-07-16 at 22:42.
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 05-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Are you really running 245/50R17 ....???
They are 52mm bigger in diameter than the std 215/45R17.!!!

FAR too big.
Yeah, I actually am! They came with the car and they look great. Didn't have any problems other than the hydroplaning once.
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 05-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlock View Post
sorry im not hot on tyres . but i am surprised you got 245's on wished i knew 245's would fit before i bought my new ones i would have got some i got 235 x 40 x 18 instead
but mines for the drag track
Well, they came with the car. I'm surprised by what the other guys are saying, tho. 245 is only 30mm (3 cm) wider, which when you think about it, doesn't sound that much bigger. It doesn't seem like it would be such a big deal. However, the car does tramline A LOT, and the fact that our roads are crap doesn't help at all. It just follows all the ridges etc. Well, too bad. I guess I'll have to get 215s or 225s, even though I love the way the wide tires look, and it's great at cornering.

Would fitting 245/40 balance it out?

Last edited by gijst; 05-07-16 at 23:00.
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Whoops, Ive no idea why I was sure I had 245s, they are 225/45 front and /50 back.

Will change to 225/45s before next summer. Does anyone have any specific brand to recommend? Our roads here are pretty **** and there are tons of potholes and ridges, so Id be happy as hell with a tire thats more comfortable.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
Whoops, Ive no idea why I was sure I had 245s, they are 225/45 front and /50 back.

Will change to 225/45s before next summer. Does anyone have any specific brand to recommend? Our roads here are pretty **** and there are tons of potholes and ridges, so Id be happy as hell with a tire thats more comfortable.
That is a bit better!!
225/50R17 are still 23mm bigger in diameter than the 225/45R17 you have on the front.
147 are tight on arch clearance on the back too, so you may still have issues with 225/45R17.

The Goodyear Asy 3 (and the Asy 2 before it) always get good reviews so are a safe bet.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:

I guess it will depend what your Bosnian tyre dealers can get but Sportiva and Traxmaxx should budget and probably best to avoid. Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli .. all top quality brands. Falken, Kumho .. good.

The lower the price, generally the worse they will handle or last. Got a friend in Cyprus with a Mitsubishi pickup and very low-profile tyres .. he spends more time at the tyre fitters replacing them that driving I think .. too low and the sidewalls fail on poor roads.
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
That is a bit better!!
225/50R17 are still 23mm bigger in diameter than the 225/45R17 you have on the front.
147 are tight on arch clearance on the back too, so you may still have issues with 225/45R17.

The Goodyear Asy 3 (and the Asy 2 before it) always get good reviews so are a safe bet.
So I should either get 215/45R17 or perhaps 225/40R17? I don't want to have different profile tires because the ASR is acting up enough as it is. The Asy3s are a bit expensive but nothing too crazy, 85 or so but I see they're receiving only the best reviews. Also, what do you mean by "tight on arch clearance"? I never scrape on the back and it's low on the back. Nothing scrapes or anything. The front used to scrape before, but I mistakenly got normal springs for the front so the front is standard high, didn't replace the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
I guess it will depend what your Bosnian tyre dealers can get but Sportiva and Traxmaxx should budget and probably best to avoid. Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli .. all top quality brands. Falken, Kumho .. good.

The lower the price, generally the worse they will handle or last. Got a friend in Cyprus with a Mitsubishi pickup and very low-profile tyres .. he spends more time at the tyre fitters replacing them that driving I think .. too low and the sidewalls fail on poor roads.
Well, surprisingly, the dealers have a nice stock of brands. I'm thinking either Goodyear F1 Eagle Asy3s or Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. Both are around the same price mark, and both of them got around the same results.
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

[QUOTE=Yorkshirekeith;.
Hi Sye, I've found Asymetric directional tyres are prone to strange wear patterns on my GT but neither pair were Goodyears I hasten to add[/QUOTE]

Hi
I can't really comment on anything other than the Goodyears, but my feeling is that an asymetric trye would not in itself lead to unique wear patterns. As is so often the case, there are many factors that can create uneven wear but I wouldn't put an asymetric tread pattern down as one of them.
Honestly not experienced anything strange with the Goodyears
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
So I should either get 215/45R17 or perhaps 225/40R17? I don't want to have different profile tires because the ASR is acting up enough as it is. The Asy3s are a bit expensive but nothing too crazy, 85 or so but I see they're receiving only the best reviews. Also, what do you mean by "tight on arch clearance"? I never scrape on the back and it's low on the back. Nothing scrapes or anything. The front used to scrape before, but I mistakenly got normal springs for the front so the front is standard high, didn't replace the back.

Well, surprisingly, the dealers have a nice stock of brands. I'm thinking either Goodyear F1 Eagle Asy3s or Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. Both are around the same price mark, and both of them got around the same results.
Either of the choices mentioned are considered very good. Combined with ensuring the correct size is fitted, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I have had both of these tyres and would happily buy both of them again
gijst likes this.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

I think that the correct tyre size on 17s is 225/45 for some and 215/45 for others.
(Post Link) post #16 of 27 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sye View Post
Either of the choices mentioned are considered very good. Combined with ensuring the correct size is fitted, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I have had both of these tyres and would happily buy both of them again
Now it's all a matter of which ones look better, I guess! :P Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb84 View Post
I think that the correct tyre size on 17s is 225/45 for some and 215/45 for others.
Manual says 215/45, and the wheels are SuperSport. I checked the width and it's apparently 7" according to an eBay seller. Upon searching and using some calculator, it said that 215/45 is the optimal and 225/45 is the maximum that will fit without problems, I guess. But I've been using them since I got the car a year ago and they do fit, but they're probably the main reason why my suspension is so messed up. That, and potholes. Switching to 16" wheels would be the sensible option, but then again I'd just drive a Golf if I wanted to be sensible.
AO Platinum Member

If you've had no clearance issues with 225/45R17, then I think I'd stick with those front & rear.
They are a more common size than 215/45R17, so often cost less despite being bigger.
They are also slightly taller, so slightly more pothole friendly.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
The 225/45R17 is one of the standard sizes for the GTA. Admittedly, the GTA has slightly wider wheelarches, but this is only on the outside, not where you'd usually have issues with rubbing. The GTA is also lowered slightly, so on a standard 147 the 225/45R17 tyres should fit fine.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
The 225/45R17 is one of the standard sizes for the GTA. Admittedly, the GTA has slightly wider wheelarches, but this is only on the outside, not where you'd usually have issues with rubbing.
The GTA also has different offset wheels.
AO Silver Member

The "standard" 147/156/GT wheels have a 40mm offset, the 17 inch GTA teledials have a 35mm offset and the 18 inch jetfins have a 32mm offset, right?

So if a 225/45R17 fits on a GTA, fitting a 225/45R17 on a "normal" wheel would bring the wheel 5mm closer to the inside of the wheel-arch, not so?
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Not sure I understand this thread. Buy 4 tyres the same size 225 or 215. Job done.
(Post Link) post #22 of 27 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Not sure I understand this thread. Buy 4 tyres the same size 225 or 215. Job done.
So, just buy any 4x40 tires? Great!

Joking aside, I made the thread because I wanted to know what tires are the best for their money, and which ones are worth paying extra for. I'd rather pay 90 per tire and get a very good product, than pay less and end up in a ditch.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
Garage
Ok, if we are beyond the size question now,

Good Year Assym 2 seems worth the extra money when I listen to others that want ULTIMATE performance

Myself - I am more looking for the "best-bang-for-buck" "decent-enough" tires. I have liked Bridgestone My01's , Achilles 2233, Yokohama Decibel V550 and the Michelin Pilot Sports (as a bit higher mid budget). I am looking at GT radial BAX2 as a possible next set.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
So, just buy any 4x40€ tires? Great!

Joking aside, I made the thread because I wanted to know what tires are the best for their money, and which ones are worth paying extra for. I'd rather pay 90€ per tire and get a very good product, than pay less and end up in a ditch.
My preference is budget tyres changed frequently. The quality of budget tyres has improved significantly in the last 10 years (or maybe i've slowed down). I've stuck with the 215s (17" wheel) because i tend to buy 2 at a time but if buying 4 i'd consider the 225 as they are a little cheaper. In terms of a downside to the 225s I'd guess the chance of uneven wear might be higher, fuel consumption might rise and there could be more stress on the powersteering components but nothing worse than having the incorrect tyre pressure. The up side is they might provide a little extra protection for your alloys and give more grip. They probably look a little better too.

I do a lot of miles and Nangkangs, Goodride and Starperformer have all provided me with sufficient traction to avoid hedges, ditches, pedestrians and other motorists. I also started with Goodyear and can't say I noticed a difference when they were replaced. The cheap brands don't make funny noises on the road either. However, I believe I'm in the minority on this topic as there appears to be a consensus that if you like to get on it a bit then a more expensive option could give the talented driver a marginal gain. I had a saxo vts a while back and it certainly went well on some Federals that were effectively road legal slicks. They didn't last long but that car loved the twisty bits.

Federal 595 RS-R 225/45 ZR17 94V XL - mytyres.co.uk

Controversially, I also rotate my tyres and tend to have the best on the front which many consider a big no no. My thinking is they do the accelerating, braking and steering which is a lot more than the backs. The converse argument states that it's not very easy to control the back end if it brakes free. I think the choice of location is determined by whether you're trying to get from a to b as fast as possible or if you want to do an emergency stop on a wet road.

On a side note: my 156 does seem to change it's characteristics with different tyre pressures. For some reason my garage always under inflates them. The car is noticeably better to steer once they have the specified pressure (stating the obvious really) so worth checking them regularly.

Hope this helps with the original post.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
My preference is budget tyres changed frequently. The quality of budget tyres has improved significantly in the last 10 years (or maybe i've slowed down). I've stuck with the 215s (17" wheel) because i tend to buy 2 at a time but if buying 4 i'd consider the 225 as they are a little cheaper. In terms of a downside to the 225s I'd guess the chance of uneven wear might be higher, fuel consumption might rise and there could be more stress on the powersteering components.

Controversially, I also rotate my tyres and tend to have the best on the front which many consider a big no no. My thinking is they do the accelerating, braking and steering which is a lot more than the backs. The converse argument states that it's not very easy to control the back end if it brakes free. I think the choice of location is determined by whether you're trying to get from a to b as fast as possible or if you want to do an emergency stop on a wet road.

On a side note: my 156 does seem to change it's characteristics with different tyre pressures. For some reason my garage always under inflates them. The car is noticeably better to steer once they have the specified pressure (stating the obvious really) so worth checking them regularly.

Hope this helps with the original post.
Myself I'd say that the more determined you are to get from A to B in the fastest possible time the more likely you are to need to make an emergency stop. There shouldn't be any noticeable drop off in tyre performance within the legal wear limits as this is why the legal wear limits are set where they are. If there is it's probably because they are very cheap tyres. I have bought cheap tyres in the past that gripped like they'd been spray glued but they raised my fuel consumption and were illegal in about 5,500 miles. I think the main difference swopping your tyres over makes is getting them to wear out at about the same time. Which makes changing brand more straight forward. To get the very latest and best tyre compounds you need to repay the companies who are spending the most on research to develop them and that is ( purely in my opinion ) Michelin and Continental With Goodyear, Hankook and Bridgestone somewhere a little behind, I would have put Bridgestone up in the top group till recently but they've had a few duff reviews lately. Despite all this, because I'm patriotic and always liked them on my bikes I go with Avons, I have the new ZV7s on my GT and so far I like them a lot though despite them getting a good rating in the new efficiency ratings for noise I find it varies a lot with surface. I cant rate wear yet having only done about 1500 miles on them.

Last edited by Yorkshirekeith; 11-07-16 at 15:19.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
brands , downside , good , tires , wide

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page