Is there any downside to wide tires and are these brands any good? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 27 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Well, I still gave Continentals and theyre quite good, still within legal limits but theyll wear off before next summer. Cant say Im extremely happy or unhappy with them, theyre okayish. However, I feel like they are consuming more fuel and theyre not very comfortable. The Sport Contacts are the one I have.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gwynedd
Originally Posted by Yorkshirekeith View Post
Myself I'd say that the more determined you are to get from A to B in the fastest possible time the more likely you are to need to make an emergency stop. There shouldn't be any noticeable drop off in tyre performance within the legal wear limits as this is why the legal wear limits are set where they are. If there is it's probably because they are very cheap tyres. I have bought cheap tyres in the past that gripped like they'd been spray glued but they raised my fuel consumption and were illegal in about 5,500 miles. I think the main difference swopping your tyres over makes is getting them to wear out at about the same time. Which makes changing brand more straight forward. To get the very latest and best tyre compounds you need to repay the companies who are spending the most on research to develop them and that is ( purely in my opinion ) Michelin and Continental With Goodyear, Hankook and Bridgestone somewhere a little behind, I would have put Bridgestone up in the top group till recently but they've had a few duff reviews lately. Despite all this, because I'm patriotic and always liked them on my bikes I go with Avons, I have the new ZV7s on my GT and so far I like them a lot though despite them getting a good rating in the new efficiency ratings for noise I find it varies a lot with surface. I cant rate wear yet having only done about 1500 miles on them.
In the wet it's tread depth that counts. New tyres regardless of brand will out perform something that's down to 4mm. In the dry the tread pattern is largely irrelevant and it's the compound that counts. Changing early also reduces your chance of puncture.

Last edited by dgmayhead; 11-07-16 at 17:08.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brands , downside , good , tires , wide