Gear Change Problem 147 2.0 T Spark - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-07-16 Thread Starter
County: -
Gear Change Problem 147 2.0 T Spark

Hi Guys

First ever thread posted so be gentle..... haha

I have a 147 2.0 T Spark 2004 plate and about 2 weeks ago I lost reverse gear and haven't been able to select it since, the gear lever has always been "wobbly" yesterday 4th gear started grinding when being selected and seems like it wont fully select and keeps jumping out of gear.

I've read quite allot on here about bushes and cables etc... but I hope someone can help me out with a specific answer for my issue.

Just to clarify the gear stick has lots of play in it and I have no reverse gear and I think 4th is almost gone as well.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Originally Posted by nickalfa2016 View Post
yesterday 4th gear started grinding when being selected and seems like it wont fully select and keeps jumping out of gear.
No clue what it could be, but my 3rd gear is grinding sometimes when you engage it, and only the third. Never jumps out of it tho. Could it *POSSIBLY* be a bad clutch cylinder? About 6 months ago it was very hard to engage first and reverse was near impossible. It kept jumping out, even if I turn the car off and put it in reverse, it jumps out when I start it. Only when the car heats up a bit, the gear selecting is easier. Changed the cylinder, works like a charm.
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Maybe one of the following:

Worn gear lever bottom pivot Bush.
Worn cable and/or ball joints.

Stiff selector bushes will cause a stiff lever (ooer!) So probably not that.

New ones are not cheap but a low mileage second hand one is ok.
My cable needs changing after I had to use a crappy one I found in a pile of bits, cos the crimp on the end sheared off and left me with only 1,3&5th.
AO Member
County: Auckland
Three thoughts:
1. Have a look at the recent thread about sloppy gear lever. There's two variations. It could be that it's now too sloppy/broken to go into gear or
2. You have the 'swarf in the gearbox' fault which stops selection of fourth. Search for that thread, or
3. You might have a naff gearbox. Drain the oil and see what colour it is and how much was in there. Check the magnetic drain plug for metallic fragments.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , change , gear , problem , spark