147 1.9 JTD 81kW, too high consumption? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
147 1.9 JTD 81kW, too high consumption?

The car has 1500 kilometers since last reset, and the display shows 7.8 l/100 (36 mpg) consumption. Which is weird, because 200 kilometers ago it said 7.4l (38 mpg). In the last 200 kilometers, my consumption would have to be pretty high to average out the whole 1500 kilometers to 7.8 (36 mpg). Either way, the actual consumption computer doesn't show anything weird, apart maybe from the high consumption in first and second (15-23l/100km)(12-19 mpg). Also, the car is sitting on 17 inch supersport wheels with 245/45 in front and 245/50 in the back - Continental ContiSportContact tires.

Is everything okay or should I be worried? Lowest I ever achieved (with these wheels) was 6.0l/100 km (47 mpg) on a 300km road trip, but only 20% of that whole trip was city driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Seems on the high side at the moment, but 6.0l/100 km (47 mpg) is about correct...

What temperature does it come up to? Thermostats failing open can kill the fuel economy!
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Seems on the high side at the moment, but 6.0l/100 km (47 mpg) is about correct...

What temperature does it come up to? Thermostats failing open can kill the fuel economy!
Comes up to 90*C fairly quickly now in summer time, cools down very slowly, but stays there no matter how long the drive is. Replaced it last winter, when it was stuck open. Realized that I was driving for the past 1 hour with my temperature at 50*C, which is the starting temp.

It's staying where it should, at the middle.

Also, air conditioning* is running most of the time these days. But I bought the car a year ago and was just as hot, and I don't remember my consumption ever going over 7.2 to be honest.

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Reviving this thread. I have reset the computer and started from zero. I have done around 280 km (80% urban) and the computer is showing 8.7l/100km average consumption. Is this normal? I don't think it is because if I'm going 60 km/h in fourth, the "Actual consumption" is showing 9-12. Why would it drink so much fuel at such a low speed and high gear? It sucks because 60 is the limit, and there are lots of speed cameras where I drive.

Is this okay or should I start figuring out whats wrong? I guess cleaning the EGR, or doing a DPF remap would help a little bit? Also, should I pour some injector cleaner? Maybe they sooted up. Also, 1.9 JTD 81kw with 17 inch 225/45 wheels.

Also, AC was mostly off for the 280km, about 80% of the time, because we've had a few rainy days.
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
Reviving this thread. I have reset the computer and started from zero. I have done around 280 km (80% urban) and the computer is showing 8.7l/100km average consumption. Is this normal? I don't think it is because if I'm going 60 km/h in fourth, the "Actual consumption" is showing 9-12. Why would it drink so much fuel at such a low speed and high gear? It sucks because 60 is the limit, and there are lots of speed cameras where I drive.

Is this okay or should I start figuring out whats wrong? I guess cleaning the EGR, or doing a DPF remap would help a little bit? Also, should I pour some injector cleaner? Maybe they sooted up. Also, 1.9 JTD 81kw with 17 inch 225/45 wheels.

Also, AC was mostly off for the 280km, about 80% of the time, because we've had a few rainy days.
Have you checked the real consumption over a period of time rather than what consumption the computer is showing?
Brim to brim fill ups and calculate on mileage in between.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imski View Post
Have you checked the real consumption over a period of time rather than what consumption the computer is showing?
Brim to brim fill ups and calculate on mileage in between.
Next time I gas up fully, I'll do that. How big is the tank, without the reserve?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , 81kw , consumption , high , jtd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page