147 1.6 120 Engine Knocking/Pre ignition noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

147 1.6 120 Engine Knocking/Pre ignition noise

I noticed a rattling sound when switching into third on low rpms (2000-3000). It happens regardless of load, and cant be reproduced with letting the RPMs fall and rise again, only with gear changes.

I had no idea this is the knocking noise, I thought it was something completely irrelevant. I researched on some Greek forums and I found its actually knocking (I hope Im calling it correctly, I suppose Its called knocking since the knock sensor is there to prevent it), and it seems it is a super common issue with all Twin Spark motors in conjunction with the ****ty 95RON Greek fuel and the hot weather.

I've also read on the same forums that an official ecu update was released, and was available free within warranty and on some serious cases outside warranty, but this was many years ago, and official service is a thing of the past. Also I found a Greek chip tuner company that on its site confirms that an official update was released, and that they integrate it on their own maps, or can even flash the official upgrade alone for a small fee. But they are not on my city, and every bit of money saved counts.

I have no idea of what the update procedure consists off. Is it perhaps something easily flashable via ODB? Are official ecu updates a common thing?

Or is it something complicated requiring soldering etc?
Sponsored Links
County: Limburg

Member car:

I don't really understand how an ECU update can prevent knocking, as that knocking sound is mechanical and probably coming from a worn cam or a cylinder big end bearing. Pull the head off and inspect the cam to see if it's chipped. If not, then it's probably the cylinder and you're set for a ****ty replacement procedure. There are many loose parts in an engine, but not a lot can produce a knocking hard enough to hear it, without taking away acceleration and rev range.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

120 , 147 , engine , ignition , knocking or pre , noise