Changing rear hub bushes guide - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 23-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Changing rear hub bushes guide

Just did both my rear hub bushes. One was done last weekend and one just a few hours ago.
Pretty tough job, but this is how i did it:

My car had the bolts the "trapped" way in, so i couldn't remove them. I removed the nut from the bolt and pushed it back until it comes in contact with the disc shield. I then used a 27mm drill saw to cut through the rubber. The drill saw could only cut a little more than half of the bush's rubber, because it wasn't long enough and it was coming in contact with the bolt.
I then used a blowtorch to burn the rest of the rubber.
After that, the inside metal part of the bush came out.
I was then able to remove the bolt from the hub.

Then using a small saw, i made an insicion on the outer shell of the bush. The using a flat head screwdriver (You can also use a chisel) and a hammer, i removed the outer shell of the bush.
I cleaned the hub using sandpaper and then sprayed lots of WD40 inside.
I then took the bushes (They were inside the refrigerator throughout the night) and using the bolt from the hub and plenty of washers as spacers, i drew the bush half way through. (Keep spraying WD40 on the bush while you draw it inside)
Then using a rubber hummer, i gently tapped the bush fully inside.

I then installed the hub bolts the "non-trapped" way, so it's easier to remove next time.

Last week it took me around 3 hours to do it, but this week (with the know-how) it took me an hour.

Handling has really changed a lot and i highly reccoment it to everyone to change their hub bushes.

Next weeks i'm going to change all 4 rear transverse arms and i will then take it for a 4 wheel alignment.

Hope the above helps everyone that plans to replace their hub bushes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bushes , changing , guide , hub , rear