156 sw sele false neutrals? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 22-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

156 sw sele false neutrals?

lately I have been getting stuck in neutral at random moments when in city mode; usually as I am about to leave a junction so end up redlining but at a stand still! not a good image.. I think it has happened about 3 times so far, possibly when the sele is shifting down when reducing speed. is this a normal condition that I have to put up with or is there something I should have checked out?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 156 sw sele false neutrals?

Have you stopped for 60 secs or more? I think that is a safety feature designed to prevent gearbox wear. Keep an eye on the dial, step on the brake and engage 1st or 2nd. This has come up before on another thread try the 156 forum. I'm also a sele newbe so dont take this as gospel, but it works for me.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Do you use the City button frequently, or infrequently?:
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

if you forget to keep and eye on it or don't her the beeps, the best way to ensure it does not happen is to stick in neutral if your there for a minute or so (as in lights just turn red)

for some reason you know automatically that your in neutral and stick 1st gear as your ready yourself to move again.

this is what i do, never red lined since.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 23-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

e problem is not waiting whilst the vehicle is stationery as I know the box can change to neutral after about 60 secs of inactivity.

rather my observation seems to be the box getting stuck between 2nd and 1st as I slow down from hi revs. in manual mode it is ok. anyone who has ridden a motorbike will know what its like to experience a false neutral.. I am guessing it is just the computer being unable to decide between the two gears hence the neutral; was just hoping to hear peoples opinion or anyone who's had a similar problem
AO Gold Member

Selespeeds have a tendency to cure themselves, mine skipped 4th gear for 4 days, examiner showed no faults. After 4 days all worked fine again...riddle riddle ??? scary stuff...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , false , neutrals , sele