Currently Im enjoying the Alfa GT 1.9 which is my first car. While I was searching for it, I happened to test drive tuned 147 1.9jtd 16v (same engine as mine). It had turbo from 2.4 engine, from mounted intercooler, sports exhaust system, and it was remapped. That thing was great fun to drive and now Im very tempted to invest and do some tuning on my car as well. But since I dont know much (aka I know almost nothing) about cars, let alone tuning, I have some questions:
1. About the turbo - from which 2.4 diesel engine should I use a turbo the 136, 150 or 175 hp one?
2. What is the intercooler for? I know the turbo connects to it but what does it do? Would it still be useful if I do not get a bigger turbo but retain the current stock one?
3. I will most likely be getting a custom exhaust system. Would I need custom exhaust and/or intake manifolds as well (Im not even sure what are those for...)?
4. What would be the benefit of installing Q2 limited slip differential? It is quite pricey so Im wondering if its worth it.
5. Would there be a point to installing a blow off valve? If there is no benefit, would it hurt installing it just for the sound?
6. I live in Bulgaria - most of our roads are crap, so I would like to avoid lowering the car. That being said would sport coilovers make any sense if they are set up so that the car wont be any lower?
7. Would installing a strut bar have any effect on a GT? Im reading alot of contradicting comments on that topic. Just to note, It will be a "custom" one made in a good local tunning shop as brand name strut bars for Alfa are next to non existent here. Then again, maybe I should import one from the UK, they could even be cheaper...
8. Last but not least, what would be the weak links in the car once it is tuned. I suspect that clutch could go, so I will likely replaced it with reinforced Valeo (the tuned 147 I drove was with such clutch). Any other weak links, and at what point (hp) would they be considered as such? I want to make the car more powerful - yes, but it still is my daily driver (not that I need to drive daily - work is 5 minutes walk from home
), so reliability is just as important. What would be a realistic goal while keeping the reliability in check - 180, 200, more (doubt it)?
Thanks for reading my wall of text. Any comments and advice are welcome