Diagnostic Software Advice please? 'eLEARN' or 'ePER'? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jwq
  • 1 Post By AussieAlex

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Well Happy Diagnostic Software Advice please? 'eLEARN' or 'ePER'?

Hello there!

So I want to get some Diagnostic Software and a cable so I can connect my laptop to my 2001 147 to primarily switch off -
(yes; you've guessed it; only one guess needed)- Airbag Warning Light.

So I have these two discs already and I've used the 'ePER' one to look up parts and try and figure out how to access things etc;

However I've not really explored the 'eLEARN' Technical Assistance Manual CD ROM at all and I'm wondering in fact does it contain/ or is it indeed the diagnostic program?

As in do I just need to get the required Cable and I'm away?!

Please please any advice on the simplest affordable way to sort this!

(Other than paying someone else to do it as I've tried that and soldering airbag connectors and still I think the best thing to do is get software so I can turn it off myself (not only to pass MOT but because I'm pretty sure back along on the forum someone said the airbags don't deploy if the Airbag Warning Light is on) or get an Airbag ECU from a 2004 onwards 147 fitted as apparently they reset themselves once break in wire is dealt with!!!)

So yes any advice or contacts please and then finally I can be in control of this dreaded light and can un-strap my driver's seat from moving!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlfaRomeo 147 eLEARN Technical Assistance Manual PC CDROM.jpg (63.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg AlfaRomeo 147 ePER Spare Parts Catalogue DVD.jpg (54.3 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
elearn is the workshop manual
eper is the parts database
neither contains diagnostic software, for that you need third party software, like for instance often used MultiEcuScan (MES), Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

You can do quite a lot with the free version, for programming the paid version is advisable (not too expensive)
In addition you will need OBD cables and interface, also available relatively cheep
(http://www.multiecuscan.net/HowToUse.aspx )

example:
http://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/mul...stics-kit.html

Last edited by jwq; 13-06-16 at 08:27.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
elearn is the workshop manual
eper is the parts database
neither contains diagnostic software, for that you need third party software, like for instance often used MultiEcuScan (MES), Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

You can do quite a lot with the free version, for programming the paid version is advisable (not too expensive)
In addition you will need OBD cables and interface, also available relatively cheep
(Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars )

example:
Multiecuscan. Fiat Alfa Romeo Lancia Diagnostics Kit - scantool-direct.co.uk
Oh wow thanks jwq!!!

I'll look into it in depth later!
Sounds like you know what you are doing!

I'll be using my laptop with Windows XP so I'll have to check which Multiecuscan version will work...

So with the free version you reckon I can reset my airbag warning light?

Heel erg bedankt!!!
jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
basically, there is only one version of mes (currently 3.1) that works with all windows versions.....
if you look at the homepage (Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars ), a little lower down, you can see what you can do with the free version.... Basically it's mostly read-only, so I don't think you will be able to reset airbag, you would need payed-up version for that.
But of course you can always download the free version and try it. If it doesn't do what you want, you can always upgrade to payed version for 50 euro's.
Cables + interface you will need to buy anyway.
However, it's worth the money looking at what you will save not having to go to dealer to test things, reset errors etc.

Heel erg bedankt!!!
graag gedaan
Mighty-147 likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
basically, there is only one version of mes (currently 3.1) that works with all windows versions.....
if you look at the homepage (Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars ), a little lower down, you can see what you can do with the free version.... Basically it's mostly read-only, so I don't think you will be able to reset airbag, you would need payed-up version for that.
But of course you can always download the free version and try it. If it doesn't do what you want, you can always upgrade to payed version for 50 euro's.
Cables + interface you will need to buy anyway.
However, it's worth the money looking at what you will save not having to go to dealer to test things, reset errors etc.

Heel erg bedankt!!!
graag gedaan
Ah the current 3.1 version supports all Windows Versions? Excellent! That's handy!

I'm only looking at getting the software and cables for resetting the Airbag alone - anything else is a bonus...

The chart says this for the free version:

'Clear fault codes - Yes, for the FREE modules'

however also this:

'Reset/Programming functions - No'

So I guess I'd have to just download and look into it but still I'd have to get the cable...

50 Euro's for next upgrade? gosh that's nearly 40!

so both together around 80 (100 Euros!)

Ah well I guess as you say it's a worthwhile investment as I won't have to visit someone else to do it -

I payed two lots of 20 (25 Euros) at the start of the year to clear the airbag light and it doesn't stay gone for long!!!

bedankt voor je hulp!
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty-147 View Post
Ah the current 3.1 version supports all Windows Versions? Excellent! That's handy!

I'm only looking at getting the software and cables for resetting the Airbag alone - anything else is a bonus...

The chart says this for the free version:

'Clear fault codes - Yes, for the FREE modules'

however also this:

'Reset/Programming functions - No'

So I guess I'd have to just download and look into it but still I'd have to get the cable...

50 Euro's for next upgrade? gosh that's nearly 40!

so both together around 80 (100 Euros!)

Ah well I guess as you say it's a worthwhile investment as I won't have to visit someone else to do it -

I payed two lots of 20 (25 Euros) at the start of the year to clear the airbag light and it doesn't stay gone for long!!!

bedankt voor je hulp!
Have you unbolted the seats and checked the yellow connectors under them?

Make sure you disconnect your battery for at least 15 mins BEFORE touching them! But some people have permanently cleared the fault (on the GTV's at least) by disconnecting the yellow connectors located under the two front seats and then spraying electrical contact cleaner (NOT WD40) on the electrical contacts and then putting them back together while using a cable tie to keep the connector firmly secured. Some people have gone as drastic as adding a chock block connector or even directly soldering the wires together to get rid of the fault codes. As the issue commonly is that the cables connected to those yellow connectors stretch ever so slightly as you move the front seats forward/back and this may slightly dislodge the connector and result in the error code you get regularly.

You will still need to use MES to clear the code (free version works fine so long as you have the correct diagnostic cable to communicate with the airbag ECU) after doing that work but it can stop the code from coming back and at most 1 hours work and not complex or hard to do. Just make sure you disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes before touching the connectors! Otherwise you might have a heart attack.......
Mighty-147 likes this.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

AussieAlex mate,

I've looked into this loads if you put airbag into the forum search I've probably commented loads lol!

I undid the battery and left it for 30mins minimum;

Yes I did put Maplin Contact Cleaner on the yellow connectors and then moved the metal a bit so it might rest against the other metal better.. a stronger connection. Then put the connectors back and used a load of strategically placed tie wraps to keep them in place and then with the driver seat i even tie wrapped that static and between the bar handle to move it upwards and the seat I cut some corks and placed them there so the seat don't move!

I had it reset then 2 months later on again.

This time it said side curtain.

So I undid the pillar ones and actually soldered them!
This in UK winter so not a pleasant task with cold plastic and bad lighting.
I actually used a hair dryer to warm the plastic to avoid more crackage to plastic parts!

So then another reset but it's come on again.

Yes so this time I reckon I'll solder the lil basterds!

also the ones at the back of the car next to the rear light cluster access flaps and I actually think these may be the side curtain airbags too.

As the yellow connectors under the seat clip neatly to the underside on the seat - I'm thinking of drilling a hole through the yellow plastic and then putting solder down there so it can pop back into it's clipped resting place easily.
Either that or like you say a choc block connector thing..
I've been meaning to properly solder them for a while now - best to just get them done- thought I'd sorted it but no!

Wish me luck!
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
If you don't have MES yet get the free version first and get it working - it can be really frustrating to set up so do that with the free version first. Once you have mastered the free version then spend the cash.

If you can find an old version 1.x I think it will do the airbag light without paying.

As far as I am concerned XP is perfect for MES and is the most stable install I have for MES though my XP PC does not have much software installed and is mainly for car diagnostics.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Before buying cheap leads have a look at this:-

Multiecuscan - View topic - FAULTY ELM 327 INTERFACES DE-MYSTIFIED (READ HERE)

There are hundreds of cheap leads that do not work properly. Best bet is to PM Rarebear on here as his leads are guaranteed to work.

BEFORE you plug the lead into your PC download and install the drivers from here:-

Virtual COM Port Drivers

I did a brief "how to" about half way down the page here:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-ecu-scan.html (Fiat ECU Scan)
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
mine never needed re-setting. fixed the fault and the light went out next time I drove it. if the fault is there the light will come back on sooner or later no matter what. if the fault is fixed I'm pretty sure the light will go out by its self. even though a record of it will stay in the relevant ECU.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshirekeith View Post
mine never needed re-setting. fixed the fault and the light went out next time I drove it. if the fault is there the light will come back on sooner or later no matter what. if the fault is fixed I'm pretty sure the light will go out by its self. even though a record of it will stay in the relevant ECU.
My understanding was that in the case of airbags the light will stay on until cleared, irrespective of the fault being remedied or not. Could be wrong however.

The other option to look at for OP is whether any belt tensioners actually need replacing as they can (rarely) be the cause of the issue.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
I have 53 plate 2014 car and as Kieth states when the fault is fixed the light goes out without the need for a reset. Earlier car may be different.
Sorry 2014 I wish. 2004 I mean.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , airbag , diagnostic , ecu , software