147 gear change has become sloppy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

2003 147 2.0TS

147 gear change has become sloppy

I'm told the likely cause is worn gear linkage rubber bushes (top hat). Has anyone experience of changing these 2 bushes? Can they be changed from the inside of the car by removing the gear change lever? Thanks for any advice/tips. Cheers
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
I think you're confusing two sets of bushes!

The top-hat bushes sit in the shifter assembly on top of the gearbox - these are easy to change from the engine bay once the battery is removed. When these wear out, you can get side-to-side stiffness as the bushes bind, and when they wear lose you get side-to-side slop.

There's also a set of bushes in the shifter mechanism at the base of the gearstick.. Not sure how accessible these are tbh... Have only ever seen the whole stick assembly be removed from out below... Anyone else know?

AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Ive done both sets on mine. The ones at the gearbox end and the ones under the gear lever.
If you have time, do the gearbox ones first. Cheap enough and fairly easy to do.
The gear lever ones are harder to do. Personally, i'd buy a good second hand one and change it out with the old one.
To do it:

1) Get the car as high as you can. Ramps or big axle stands. You need space.
2) The downpipe will have to come off the manifold, so undo the lambda probe connections (two of- there may be enough slack on the third one to not necessitate removal). Be warned. Exhaust bolts are made from rusty cheese And will shear as soon as you look at them.
3) Take the bolts out AFTER the cat joint and then the middle hanger. Lower exhaust gently as the third lambda probe cable is still on it.
4) Tea. (Optional)
5) heat shields and the u shaped clamp bolts on the subframe will need undoing. Probably as far as the fuel tank.
6) lower the "tunnel" down and you will see the white mounting unit, will probably have some sound deadening on it. Take that off.
7) unclip the gear lever surround from inside the car.
8) on top of the white thing are four M6 nuts, so will need a 10mm ratchet spanner or a 1/4 socket.
9) poke about the rubber grommet until it comes out of the metal plate.
10) training as a gynaecologist will come in handy here as you try to undo the gearchange cables.
11) tea. Not optional as youll need to replace lost bodily fluids.
12) swap old one for new one, reconnect the cables. REALLY IMPORTANT THAT BIT!!!!!
13) get the grommet back in then do up the nuts.
14) lift (shes heavy!) the "tunnel" back up making sure you havent pulled off the crimp lug for the handbrake.
15) do up the nuts nice and tight.
16) new gasket on the manifold and bolt it all up tight.
17) plug lambdas back in.
18) more tea, clear rust and dirt from eyes.
19) clip in gaitor.
20) change gear like a god.

Rusty bolts on the 'zorst will be your biggest headache.
Drills n taps n new bolts n grease will probably be necessary.

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

2003 147 2.0TS

Many thanks to both The Editor and Egon for the very helpful advice. It was driving an '06 RX8 recently with its precise gear change that made me aware of how the sloppiness of my Alfa's had crept up on me unnoticed. So it's replacing the selector bushes next weekend for me. Thanks again guys.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , change , gear , sloppy