Intercooler Removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-05-16 Thread Starter
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

alfa romeo 156

Intercooler Removal

Hi anyone know how to remove intercooler on 1.9 jtd 16v. Has bumper got to come off?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Not according to eLearn, top and bottom engine covers, battery and tray and air cleaner element (which may include the housing too) no mention of the bumper.

Good luck

Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Not according to eLearn, top and bottom engine covers, battery and tray and air cleaner element (which may include the housing too) no mention of the bumper.

Good luck

Access will be the biggest PITA here, it looks a tight squeeze but with the right tools (and grazed knuckles) you might just be able to do it. See the picture for the fastener positions. The brackets will be rusting away on older cars so you might find the intercooler just hanging from the upper part of the bracket. My 147 is an 08 plate and as you can see the bottom of the bracket is badly corroded. The 156 has a different bumper etc but the process should be similar.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.JPG (176.7 KB, 8 views)
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
When I do this job I have found it far easier /quicker to remove the bumper and both front wheels than airbox ,battery tray etc etc..having removed the intercooler several times now to swap between stock and fmic its possible to do in about 20 mins.

Jack up both sides remove road wheels and peel back arch liners to access the torx bolts under the arches. 2 each side .then undo bottom torx and then to top ones . Leave a couple in the top and make sure you disconnect the indicators before lifting bumper away

You now have easy access to both oil and intercooler.

After faffing around with this trying to access the wheel arch torx bolts with wheels still on and everything left unmolested in the engine bay I have found without a ramp on the driveway this is the easiest way to do it.

Turbo hoses are easily disconnected..goes without saying but don't go under the car to undo the bottom hose with only suicide jacks.

Good luck.
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
It can be done without taking the bumper off but access is tight and no doubt bolts will be rusty!! I took mine off without taking off the bumper but it would be easier to remove the bumper, just hope the bolts holding the bumper on aren't too rusty!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

intercooler , removal