147 suspension squeak - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: 147 suspension squeak

Originally Posted by Allex View Post
This is a very good question, I'd like to hear more opinions on this...
the rule is to replace is pairs, left and right. you dont need to do uppers and lowers at the same time unless the lowers actually need doing because they have worn bushes with play in them.

Originally Posted by rod2966
Does the rear have wishbones as well or is this only the front
no the rear doesnt have wishbones.

your MOT will tell you if there is enough play in any of the bushes to warrant replacement.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Originally Posted by jug View Post
your MOT will tell you if there is enough play in any of the bushes to warrant replacement.
It's quite possible that a car will pass an MoT with squeaky bushes! My old Peugeot 405 had a squeak from the front suspension for a long time - it passed at at least three MoTs with no problems.

My 147 has very noisy front upper wishbones but it's only done about 500 miles since its last MoT; I don't know if it was noisy before that, as I've only just bought it.
AO Member

Member car:

Hello - I've read this thread with interest as (you've guessed it) i've got exactly this problem!! My 147 is an 04 plate and has only done 32k miles but over the slightest bump it squeaks like a giant mice trapped under a large boulder!! After reading this thread I think that it may be my upper wishbones too and in wet weather the noise vanishes almost as soon as I start driving (in other words, when some water has splashed up and wet the offending area), but my questions are...

Is there anything easier to do to solve this other than replace the wishbones? I don't want the hassle or the expense of replacing the whole things so can't the joints simply be greased (even if I have to do this every few weeks, Iím happy to do this)?

If so what would I need to do to do this properly? If this is not an option then can just the bushes be replaced to save on buying the whole wishbone? I do dabble with my car but Iím no mechanic so please excuse my dumbness. Many thanks, in anticipation.
County: Glasgow
Regarding squeek

I have a 52 plate 147 Turismo which I bought 2 months ago. It had a slight squeeking noise coming from the drivers side front whenever I went over a speed bump. This steadily got worse
and so I got the front upper wishbone arm ( £18 from ebay) replaced yesterday. Was told there was excess play in the arm and was MOT failure.
I still have the same little squeek when I start the car in the morning and go over a speedbump
on my street. The noise does seem to go away after a while.
Would appreciate any ideas what I can do next or is it something I need to live with.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , squeak , suspension