Anyone local that could maybe help. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 23-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Anyone local that could maybe help.

Hello new to the ts engine and or cam belts. Always had chain. So was wondering if there is anyone local that would be able to help me do the timing belt. I have the locking tools and belt kit on way. I just am very wary to do it myself on something I haven't done. Yes I should go to garage but I don't have the money and don't trust them to do it properly with the correct tools.
I'm located 50 miles north of Aberdeen.
Cheers Jon
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
50 miles north of Aberdeen? Where are you, on an oil rig?

Sorry, the wiper thread has put me in a funny mood.

Good luck

AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
well, i'm just outside Glasgow if you fancy a road trip but i'm sure they'll be someone closer. Do you have a copy of elearn? what model of alfa do you have? I have the elearn for the 156 and it covers all the TS and other engines so could always send you a copy or email your the procedures on doing the timing belt...
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 24-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
Haha ok north west to be accurate I think. Keith is where I'm at. And thank you for the offer but don't want to risk it as it was last done in 06 at 45k now well 16 with 84k. And it's the 147.
AO Gold Member
There are capable people near Dundee, but I appreciate that's still a long way away from you. If you are generally competent with the spanners, the TS engine isn't particularly complicated - just take it methodically with a good guide - there are many posted online. Everyone has to do the job a first time - I took about 4 hours to do my first TS belt change - can probably do it in half that now - though since I haven't done one for a while, I'd still refer back to the guides!
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 26-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
Yes I have looked at videos on you tube and manuals and threads so feel confident. I'm good with spanners. Always do my own work. Engine swaps etc. Like the Nissan pulsar gtir engine into the N16 Nissan Almera was good but drunk driver ended that. But I just don't like the thought of getting timing wrong or belt to slack or tight know what I mean. As every car ic done has had a chain so set and forget. When belt is tensioned how much free play should there be? 1mm .5mm just so I get an idea as to how tight it should be. Also the engine is good and strong comp tested and dosent use any oil well maybe a couple of ml a 1000 mile. I have read but don't know I'm just going to remove the balance belt and lock the shafts in position. I know about vibration. But is there going to be any problems at 7k rpm?
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Alfaworkshops guides aren't exhaustive but are helpful
1.6 & 1.8 TS - Alfa Romeo Cam Belt Replacement on 1.6l and 1.8l TS engines
2.0 TS - How To.. replace a cam belt on an Alfa Romeo 2l engine

Like you I've worked on several engines with cam chains incl motorcycle engines with the drive sprocket between cylinders (that is a big job) , but none with belts until my 1.9 16v JTDM a few months ago. Which actually was easier than most chains I've done, and hard to mess up with the right locking tools. Biggest PITA is lack of space between the engine and wheelarch, slim spanners and sockets are essential. On my JTD the aux belt/pulleys/tensioner was more hassle than the timing belt/pulleys/tensioner/waterpump simply because there's less access space.

I found these extremely useful as they are so slim - and were recommended by someone else in the forum, especially for backing off the aux belt sprung tensioner. A steel tube can be fitted over the end to increase leverage and meant I could do both belts single handedly.
| RS Pro 5 Piece Chrome Vanadium Steel Metric Combination Spanner Set |

Just do it, it'll be fine
AO Silver Member
You tension the belt by getting the pointer on the tensioner to line up with the notch in the body. No need to worry about belt slack or whatever. As mentioned by others, the whole job is really pretty straightforward. The balance belt and tensioner might cost a few quid but it's only a few minutes work to fit them so I'd go with it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT