alfa 156 16v idling problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-05-16 Thread Starter
County: Australia

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

alfa 156 16v idling problem

hi, it's my first thread here. recently i got trouble with my alfa 156(2000) and it wastes me heaps of money.

my car idles at 1000rpm when it's just started, once the transmission is engaged and put the clutch in the revs goes up to 2000-3000 rpm then drop into 1000rpm and keep goes up and down. But during driving, everything is alright.
i sent it to my mechanic, he replaced a new air flow meter and throttle body for me, and it didn't improve. Then i changed the spark plugs yesterday, seems it doesn't work....

My mechanic told me it might be caused by the selespeed transmission, but he is not too sure though.
Did anyone have same problem? what should i do next?

Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 16-05-16 Thread Starter
County: Australia

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Really need help
Otherwise might have to trade in as hundreds bucks
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
I'd check for airleaks in the intake ducting....Specifically do thorough check of rubber piece to throttle body
Also (if there are no leaks) you could try a throttle reset :
- disconnect negative lead battery for 15 minutes or so
- reconnect
- switch on ignition for 90 seconds, without starting and without touching throttle pedal
- switch off ignition, leave off for 90 seconds, still without touching throttle pedal
- switch on and start, without touching throttle pedal, let idle for couple of minutes or untill normal operating temp
- go for drive
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

There are many possibilities for this fault, from air leak to sensor faults to ABS unit fault to engine ECU bugs, and the symptom looks the same.

Check for the simple ones first, I think air leak and MAF can be checked first and you already did. Then give it some time to adapt. Some parameters for the engine ECU on Selespeed version cannot be reset unfortunately.

If it is not solved then I think better to get rid of it if you cannot live with it or afford the time/money to continue solving it.
For me, I am having the same problem and continue to use it while changing parts bit by bit. I suspect ultimately it is a bug in the engine ECU and only an updated or a re-mapped ECU will solve this problem. I hope your case is simpler.

Here are links for related thread:
1200 idle and then 1500-2500 rev cycling - any new ideas?
156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 16v , alfa , idling , problem