Car dies when put in reverse - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
Hmmm Car dies when put in reverse

My car has been having some electrical gremlins for the last few months & every time i think ive solved it, it does something slightly different

in the last few weeks my car has had a knack of cutting out completely when putting it in reverse gear. Ususually from a cold start, but not exclusively. Sometimes the car will 'sputter' just after starting and need a few revs to get it going. Sometimes it will splutter and almost die when going into reverse.

Could this be battery or alternator related, i think its the latter as its had a new battery just a few months back from halfrauds.

Any advice much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Re: Car dies when put in reverse

Just a thought, probably not a very good one at that, could it be anything to do with the switch for the reversing lights? Maybe a wiring fault connecting it to something it shouldn't be connected to. This problem used to happen on old British motorcycles when you used the rear brake and the current needed for the brake light could drag down a weedy spluttering BSA engine. Your car should be re-charging the battery straight after starting so the load increase from the reversing lights will be negligible, and the ECU should be controlling the engine speed, but you could try disconnecting the reversing light switch and see if it makes any difference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

car , dies , put , reverse