20V turbocharger clean - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 05-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

20V turbocharger clean

I bit the bullet at the weekend and stripped my turbo off my 20V to clean up the sticking vanes. I’m really chuffed as the turbo was in great condition (apart from the gunk) and the car is now back to its best. Its nice to be able to floor it without worrying about overboost/limp mode The puff of smoke when flooring it has also gone and I’m even convinced the 1-2 gear change is improved (though more likely the hot weather has had a major role)!

I suspect that “Mr Muscle” down the EGR port would have worked OK but I didn’t want to take any risks. I followed the Alfa manual procedure though ignored the bit about removing the transverse cooling pipe as there was room to drop the manifold/turbo out the bottom of the car. It was a fairly straightforward job though I had to drill two snapped bolts out. The lower exhaust manifold bolts are hard to access but not tight so my ¼” socket set worked well.

I have to say that changing that blasted oil filter was a real joy with that lot out of the way

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbo1small.jpg (183.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Turbo2small.JPG (138.6 KB, 8 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

20v , clean , turbocharger