Front seats swap left to right? Possible? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

AO Member

County: Greater London
Did this yesterday.
Absolutely have to take the seats out. Can't be done in place. I was deep cleaning the interior of my car and part of that was cleaning the leather, so thought I'de do this at the same time. takes about 40 mins total for the seat pad swap. One of the rails has to be partially removed to get access to one of the bolts. Only one bolt on the rail and push it to the side. The seat pad bolts are loctited in so need a fair bit of force to free, but do eventually give with a loud crack. Seat now feels like new on the drivers side and managed to make 6 quid in loose change as well so result
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 32 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairlever View Post
Did this yesterday.
Absolutely have to take the seats out. Can't be done in place. I was deep cleaning the interior of my car and part of that was cleaning the leather, so thought I'de do this at the same time. takes about 40 mins total for the seat pad swap. One of the rails has to be partially removed to get access to one of the bolts. Only one bolt on the rail and push it to the side. The seat pad bolts are loctited in so need a fair bit of force to free, but do eventually give with a loud crack. Seat now feels like new on the drivers side and managed to make 6 quid in loose change as well so result
Right thanks everyone!

So the other day I unbolted the rails as they come off easily..

Unplugged the seat's airbag connectors (Yet to be soldered that is the next job)

Placed the seat upside down on spare carpet rug and then set about unbolting the rails.
Gave them a good clean and slight re-grease too.

This gave more access to the fiddly bolts I've been on about.

Much more accessible to get to now and easy to get leverage on.

I had put a little rust remover spray on previously but not sure how much of it soaked up vertically.

I had the socket in the star hole then gave it a sharp tap with a rubber mallet.

Upon turning the screw there was indeed a 'crack' sound however no rust present or indeed Loctite on my bolts at least.

Even the bolt where it had been considerable burred - with the socket in and some sharp taps it bedded back in again enough to get some purchase in turning the bolt.

Right so then the part of the seat (base) that one sits on is free and yes of course to my delight (as I'd predicted and others have confirmed) it is indeed symmetrical so I can swap for the other side!!

My only problem is that my car has the 'winter pack' and heated seats.
The cable from underneath the seat goes into the upper seat back rest with no obvious connector to undo.

Now at this point I was quite thrilled at having removed the bolts but didn't take it any further and of course the back rests have the lever (3 door) to get in and out so I was stuck.

Has anyone else got an idea for this please?

Is it a case of cutting then soldering these wires after the seat base swap?

Or hopefully an easier less messy way?

The cable anchoring the base to the backrest - I'm assuming it's the heated seat but could it be something else?
(Of course I'll disconnect the battery regardless when soldering because of airbags etc.)

Then I can swap the bases round and solder those infernal airbag connectors!
(Post Link) post #28 of 32 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

alastairlever well done in finding 6!

I know under the passenger seat (the one I removed) I lost a quid and it went under the gap in the carpet and I cannot find it!

If I can solve the cable conundrum and swap the bases over I know I've got a Yellow Peanut M&M to look forward to stuck under the driver's seat!....
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty-147 View Post
alastairlever well done in finding 6!

I know under the passenger seat (the one I removed) I lost a quid and it went under the gap in the carpet and I cannot find it!

If I can solve the cable conundrum and swap the bases over I know I've got a Yellow Peanut M&M to look forward to stuck under the driver's seat!....
Told you you d need to take them out !

dont eat that M&M all at once, make it last.
addo likes this.
AO Member

County: Auckland
The seat pans are interchangeable. It's easier with the seat out of the car. Get the right size Torx driver, 3/8" extension bar and go for it, I'm sure they'll pop out. If you've rounded them, drill the bolts out and retap the hole.
If they're seriously rusty, get the driver a nappy.
(Post Link) post #31 of 32 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

The final hurdle then:

The cable from underneath the seat goes into the upper seat back rest with no obvious connector to undo.

It's a 3 door so the back rests aren't swap-able left to right.

My car has heated seats.

The cable anchoring the middle of the base to the backrest - I'm assuming it's the heated seat cable but could it be something else?

Question: Is there a hidden connector under the fabric I can simply undo?

There is no obvious solution I'd rather avoid cutting and soldering!

Many thanks!

(Help me Alfa Forum; you're my only hope)
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty-147 View Post
The final hurdle then:

It's a 3 door so the back rests aren't swap-able left to right.

My car has heated seats.

The cable anchoring the middle of the base to the backrest - I'm assuming it's the heated seat cable but could it be something else?

Question: Is there a hidden connector under the fabric I can simply undo?

There is no obvious solution I'd rather avoid cutting and soldering!

Many thanks!

(Help me Alfa Forum; you're my only hope)
There is a cable for the heated seat that would need to be unplugged, you should be able to find the plug quite easily if you have a look, you may need to take the plastic sidea of the base off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
front , left , seats , swap